tipping``

irishnewbie

hi first time cruiser here, going in december...too long to wait. anyway i was wondering about the tipping. i know there are recommended amounts pp but i was wondering if this was for kids too, i have 4 ages 9,5,4,3, so do i tip the recommended daily amt x 6

hi first time cruiser here, going in december...too long to wait. anyway i was wondering about the tipping. i know there are recommended amounts pp but i was wondering if this was for kids too, i have 4 ages 9,5,4,3, so do i tip the recommended daily amt x 6

For the servers I would definitely say to tip the full amount, since the kids can be alot of work. For the room stewards, I would say it depends on if the extra person in the room really required more work and if they did anything special for the child. When I traveled with my hubby and son, I tipped half the amount for my son (and the full amount for my hubby and me). Besides a couple of extra towels, my son didn't make the room any dirtier or anything like that. Half was recommended and I thought it to be appropriate.

When I traveled with my son only, I tipped the full adult amount for both of us (plus alittle extra, we had a great steward).

In your case do you have 2 cabins? If so, I would tip the rate for between 4 and 6 adults, depending on the service and your particular situation. For excellent service I would tip towards the upper end of the range.

Hope that helps.

Shellie

I totally disagree with Shellie - a child is a "person" and tipping is per person. I'm pretty neat and tidy up the cabin myself each morning, so really all the room steward has to do is make the bed and supply fresh towels, but I certainly tip the full amount! Won't the child be sleeping in a bed that has to be made also?

I totally disagree with Shellie - a child is a "person" and tipping is per person. I'm pretty neat and tidy up the cabin myself each morning, so really all the room steward has to do is make the bed and supply fresh towels, but I certainly tip the full amount! Won't the child be sleeping in a bed that has to be made also?

I agree with the above poster. Alot of people try to justify not tipping when they have children.

My son was little and slept in our bed. We didn't require any additional bedding of any sort. Also, I personally disposed of dirty diapers, so he didn't have to deal with those, either. Anyway, this was on Princess and the "recommended" amount for a child in a room with 2 adults was half the full amount. This was the automatic amount added to my account and I didn't change it because I though it was fair.

As I mentioned before, I did tip the full adult amount for both of us (and extra, too) on my last cruise when my son was the 2nd person in the room. This was on Celebrity and they recommended half the adult amount, but I thought that wasn't enough.

I'm not trying to be cheap, I just think that if a 3rd person in the room adds no burden whatsoever then why pay for another full adult amount. However, I see what you are saying about having to make extra beds, though. I will keep that in mind for next time when my son has his own bed.:)

Archived