Some stray thoughts from a Haven Joy cruise to Bermuda

We were on the Joy for our cruise on May 1st, and I thought I'd share some stray thoughts I had. I'm going to skip over anything that just matches what everyone thinks, because that's boring.

The ship was half full at best. Nothing was crowded. We had Haven access to everything, it was of zero benefit except first day embarkation and last day disembarkation. There weren't lines anywhere. Every show had empty seats. Cagneys and Le Bistro always had dinner availability. Interestingly, the most crowded place on the ship was often the Haven Bar, because the Haven was completely full after they cleared everyone's upgrades. We had an excursion cancelled because of lack of interest, because the ship was so empty. If you like an empty cruise ship, go now!

The magicians on the Joy (Javi Cruz and Anahi) are really fun and pretty good! We were pleasantly surprised. 

The Haven Restaurant was made out to be the best restaurant on the ship. We thought it was just OK. The service is great. The menu options suggest it will be high end. But the food isn't prepared well. My steak wasn't seared. My burger was inedible. Nothing was remotely seasoned enough (a problem at every restaurant we tried except The Local and Food Republic). The best thing we had there was the risotto. The other upside was the fruit at breakfast was so much better in the Haven restaurant than anywhere else on the ship.

Food Republic is the best restaurant on the ship, and it's not particularly close. The food there was legitimately great. I can't recommend it enough.

Cagney's was the most disappointing restaurant on the ship. It was okay, but we'd expected a lot more. But again, the steak wasn't seasoned enough and wasn't really seared at all. You have to sear a ribeye! That's how its prepared! The risotto at Cagneys was actively bad. The rest of the things we had were fine.

I am a bourbon drinker and I was EXTREMELY disappointed with some recent changes they'd made to their booze selection. The online menus for the restaurants, as well as the online Premium Beverage Package list, list Buffalo Trace, Jim Beam, Bulleit, Jack Daniels, Jack Daniel's Rye, and Jack Daniel's Tennessee Honey as their American Whiskey/Bourbon options. I get there and Bulleit has been moved to Premium Plus and the Jack Daniel's products are apparently discontinued, so they have 1-2 bourbons per bar in the Premium package, just Beam and Buffalo Trace. Crown Royal has also been moved to Premium Plus on board, even though everything online still shows it as Premium. Not sure when this happened but it was a huge bummer to me. I wound up paying the $1.20 for the Bulleit upcharge repeatedly. 

Overall we thought the Haven was worth it for a special occasion, but not for an everyday vacation. 

I have the schedule page of each day's freestyle daily and I will try to post them later.

Edited by CastAStone
  • Thanks 1

The problem with Bermuda "off season" is that it's not swimming weather and the seas go get there can be rough (take a look at the current sailing...barf bags are out).  I'm not surprised at the "less than 50 per cent" of capacity.

Thanks for your honesty.  I'm always tempted to upgrade (Joy 6/5 is our next) but the more I read, the less I'm interested.

5 hours ago, MsTabbyKats said:

The problem with Bermuda "off season" is that it's not swimming weather and the seas go get there can be rough (take a look at the current sailing...barf bags are out).  I'm not surprised at the "less than 50 per cent" of capacity.

Thanks for your honesty.  I'm always tempted to upgrade (Joy 6/5 is our next) but the more I read, the less I'm interested.

We had barf bags out Saturday as well. It was very very rough. For us, I think The Haven is worth the late upgrade prices from a balcony room, but less so the full price you’d pay 6 months out.

I was on this cruise as well, also in the Haven.  Best food of all my cruises, Haven was great and so were the Specialty restaurants.  Weather in Bermuda was fabulous - went swimming in both Tobacco and Horseshoe Bay - not that cold at all!  Entertainment was great as well!  Some rough waters on last sea day back to NYC but have experienced much worse - did not slow me down!

• Like 2