Park Central Miami

irishnewbie

HI This is my first cruise, not til dec though, i'm in ireland and not familiar with miami. my ta has suggested this hotel and am curious about how suitable it is for departure from miami port the next morning. we are a family of 6 so we need 2 rooms at that hotel...any advice?

Hard to give you a right answer here. The Park Central is a restored Art Deco hotel right on Ocean Drive across from the beach. Location wise it is fabulous if you are planning on making the South Beach "scene". It is also a convenient location for getting to the pier the next morning. But it is because of that location right on the main drag with all of the noise from traffic and club goers, that you might not get to sleep until the wee hours.

This was one of the first hotels in Sobe to get restored. I stayed there 16 years ago and remember only that the bathrooms are extremely small, and at that time still had the original fixtures dating to the '30's. That is the case with many South Beach hotels unless you opt for one of the super high priced places.

Do you need a place right on the beach, or just a nice hotel for the night? How old are your kids? I would recommend the Loew's Miami Beach hotel or the Melia Royal Palm which are about 10 blocks north of the Park Central. Both of these places are a little removed from all the action, have pools which are right on the beach, and are within easy walking distance to shopping and dining. The Loews is nicest.

If you want to be closest to the Port and the beach doesn't matter, then you will be just fine in Miami, as opposed to Miami Beach. There are many fine hotels available here. I'll find Bequia's list and post a link for you.

Look at the second post here http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=303964

Also forgot to ask you when in December. I assume over the holidays when prices are higher than earlier in the month. You could consider the Embassy Suites near the Miami Airport too. Rooms are mini suites, a front living room with a fold out sofa, the bath, then a bedroom with 2 double or queen sized beds. You would all fit in one room. Embassy Suites are generally pretty good places. Book it at http://www.hilton.com They might have a shuttle from the airport. Don't know about a shuttle to the Port, but your savings with just one room would pay for the taxi.

Archived