Insurance claim question

uCruiser

My wife and I and my brother in law was on a cruise. My brother in law woke up the first morning on the ship and was very sick. Ship's doctor did what he could and transferred him to a hospital in Nassau. Wife and I followed along. He was taken care of and we flew home after 4 nights.

Wife and I paid for his cruise and all expenses in relation to his medical issue, stay in Nassau and flights home. 

When I booked the cruise I bought travel insurance for each of us, not knowing that I just could have bought one and it would cover all of us.

So the question now is which of our insurance policies should we file the claims? Should we put it all on one, and should it be his or one of ours? Or should we file a claim for each of us, or maybe one for him and one for us?

We called the number on the insurance papers and they seems to either not know or be reluctant to give us the info.

Edited by uCruiser

I hope he is fine now!

Who answered the call at the insurer?  Perhaps it was just the "switchboard" type person, or perhaps someone who typically would take incoming calls to sell policies.

If you aren't sure you were speaking with someone in "claims", why not try to call back and double check with them?

Also, how did you purchase the policy?  If you used an outside agent or broker, they got a commission and should be able to help you when there is difficulty.

Or read the policy.  My guess is that each of you had expenses, and if each of you has a policy, that would seem to be the straightforward way to file.  IF there is obvious language such that one policy would cover ALL of the expenses being claimed, then I guess I'd file one claim, and include in the cover note that relevant sentence and something like "for convenience and per <quoted section> we are filing all expenses as one claim".  But which policy would you use?

I'd think it safer, in the sense of not having the claim sent back to submit again a different way, for each person to submit own claim.  (In this case, for any shared hotels or shared meal receipts, I'd include a separate copy of the receipt and then add 1/n of the amount, where "n" is the number of people who shared.  You might mention you are doing this, so they can easily see what you are doing.  And submit them together, albeit as separate packets, with a cover note that including what you wrote above, etc.)

Who is the insurer?

GC