dinner times on the sun

kaseyoz

can anyone who has been on the sun recently confirm dinner times..

Not that is really important but i would like to be clearer about exact times.

On our sept cruise. There were 5pm dinner for kids , then 5.45pm in one restaurant, then 6.15 pm after kids dinner, then 2 late dinners again staggered.

We have early seating and want 6.15 rather than 5.45. P and o have told us they only have two times 6pm and 8 pm. They do not do four different times.

Of course after our last cruise we will be checking our cruisecards carefully and checking with the maitre d' EARLY

P and o have told us they only have two times 6pm and 8 pm. They do not do four different times.

P&O head office in Sydney probably think that they do 6pm and 8pm sittings in both restaurants on Sun. However, in reality, the sittings in the Burgundy restaurant are delayed until 6.30 and 8.30 (or a bit earlier) to allow for the earlier children's sitting in that dining room.

From talking to the head waiter in the Burgundy dining room on our cruise in June, the delayed sittings appear to be an onboard decison made to suit the needs of the children sitting, rather than something that came from head office.

Hi Karon,

The Sun had 5pm kids (you could sometimes get food a bit earlier) 5.45 and 6.15 adults and then it was either 7.45 or 8 and 8.15. We were in the Burgandy dining room which was the earlier of each of the sittings.

thanks for confirming what i already thought i knew...

P and O were adamant there were only 2 times and that my cruise was the exception. When you think about it , it makes sense to stagger it. Better for the kitchens.

thanks again guys

karon.

At the moment kids are eating in the buffet on deck 10. So that wouldn't affect the times.

Ah ha..... It all becomes clear! with no kids dinner in the restaurant, both restaurants will have 6 and 8 pm sittings.

That's much better. We ended up being in the latest sitting on Sun, due to our dinner reservation being messed up, and we found it hard to finish dinner and make it to the show lounge in time for the 10.30 show, and even if we did make it, decent seats were hard to come by.

We got our tickets on Saturday & on the kids tickets it said 2nd sitting. We requested 2nd sitting for us but assumed that the younger ones would be at kids dinner. Is this normal to say 2nd sitting rather than kids sitting?

Karen

O.K, I was on the Sun at the beginning of Feb this year. We were in the first sitting in the Bordeaux dinning room. That was at 6:15pm.

Burgundy dinning room had sittings at 6:00pm and 8:00pm.

Bordeaux at 6:15pm and 8:15pm. I never saw the kids, but heard the announcements that their dinner was served at 5pm on deck 10. It's quite funny, I never saw the kids on our cruise the whole time, it's like they are screened from other passengers view! Maybe the dinner times differ depending on the demographic of passengers on board. I know there was all of about 15 kids on our cruise, but if there were more, maybe they would have their own sittings in one of the dinning rooms.

I liked having the early sitting because you could go to the 8:30 show in the showlounge after dinner, which finnished about 10:00pm, and then you would be ready to kick on and do something afterwards (party!:D ).

O.K, I was on the Sun at the beginning of Feb this year. We were in the first sitting in the Bordeaux dinning room. That was at 6:15pm.

You're right, I got the restuarants the wrong way around, we were supposed to be in first sitting Burgundy, but ended up in second sitting Bordeaux..........

And it could have been 8.15, but I still have a recollection of 8.30. Will have to have a look at my Sun Daily's and see.

I never saw the kids, but heard the announcements that their dinner was served at 5pm on deck 10. It's quite funny, I never saw the kids on our cruise the whole time, it's like they are screened from other passengers view! Maybe the dinner times differ depending on the demographic of passengers on board. I know there was all of about 15 kids on our cruise, but if there were more, maybe they would have their own sittings in one of the dinning rooms.

I was on N603 in January with my kids. This was the last cruise before the end of the school holidays and there were 500 kids under 18 on the ship. This type of demogrphic obviously makes the cruise vastly different from the cruises held outside of school holidays.

Kids' dinner was at 4.45PM in the Bordeaux Dining Room whilst our sitting was 5.45 in the Burgundy Dining Room. The 6.15PM sitting in the Bordeaux would have suited us more because it was a bit of a rush to get the kids off to kids' club and then get changed and ready for dinner. In the end we ended up kid sharing with the other family on our kids' table so we only had to hang around every second night. Interesting to see that the kids meals are now in the buffet. I guess this means the food is served buffet style which would suit the crew more though there isn't enough space in the buffet for this type of sitting during the holiday peak season.

I know there was a lot of fuss about kids' sitting times on Star and I can understand P&O trying to avoid kids' meals when there are only 15 or 20 kids on board but peak holiday cruises couldn't operate without a separate kids sitting.

Nearly every time I go on the Sun the times change

March 05 Bordeaux Kids 5:00pm,Adults 6:15pm and 8:15pm

Burgundy 5:45pm and 7:45pm

July 05 Same as March

October 05 Kids 5:00pm Buffet

Bordeaux 5:45pm and 7:45pm

Burgundy 6:15pm and 8:15pm

Feb 06 Kids 5:00pm Buffet

Burgundy 5:45pm and 8:15 pm

Bordeuax 6:15pm and 8:15pm

Although they quite often call them earlier.

I think the split times for the Sun restaurants has more to do with managing the load on the kitchen than kids dinner by the sounds of it!!

Of course it could just be a legacy from when the kids dinner is on in the restaurant and it is easier to leave as is and not change when kids have buffet!

Cheers,

Chaz:)

You're right, I got the restuarants the wrong way around, we were supposed to be in first sitting Burgundy, but ended up in second sitting Bordeaux..........

And it could have been 8.15, but I still have a recollection of 8.30. Will have to have a look at my Sun Daily's and see.

Here we go, on Pacifc Sun in June;

Bourdeaux Restaurant;

5.00pm - Childrens Dining

6.15pm - Dinner - First Sitting

8.30pm - Dinner - Second Sitting

Burgundy Restaurant;

5.45pm - Dinner - First Sitting

8.00pm - Dinner - Second Sitting

Here we go, on Pacifc Sun in June;

Bourdeaux Restaurant;

5.00pm - Childrens Dining

6.15pm - Dinner - First Sitting

8.30pm - Dinner - Second Sitting

Burgundy Restaurant;

5.45pm - Dinner - First Sitting

8.00pm - Dinner - Second Sitting

yes these are exactly the times we had.

last cruise was during school holidays as will my next one.

hope to get 6.15pm as that extra half hour will be useful. Our kids will be eating with us. they are !3 and 16

Kids' dinner was at 4.45PM in the Bordeaux Dining Room whilst our sitting was 5.45 in the Burgundy Dining Room. The 6.15PM sitting in the Bordeaux would have suited us more because it was a bit of a rush to get the kids off to kids' club and then get changed and ready for dinner.

This is why we put in a request for the Bordeau Dining Room @ 6.15.

P&O said they could note the request but could not guarantee it.

Kazza

We got our tickets on Saturday & on the kids tickets it said 2nd sitting. We requested 2nd sitting for us but assumed that the younger ones would be at kids dinner. Is this normal to say 2nd sitting rather than kids sitting?

Karen

karen i think you should check this as soon as you get on board. when we went our daughters cruise card did have a different time on it only we didnt check that as we all had "confirmed" early dinner. We "assumed" that would mean we would all sit together. She was 2 weeks shy of 13. A lot of bother was needed to get herseated with us.

That late dinner will be awful for your younger kids

kazza. how can you have a request for 6.15 when we were told there was only 6pm or 8pm dinner yesterday....:) :)

We are going with some friends in June N620 and have 6 kids in total. Can anyone tell me roughly how many kids are usually on board on a Winter School Holiday cruise.

Keith

keith we were on a spetember school holidays cruise and by all accounts was maxed out for kids. But dont know where they went , you dont see an awful lot of them.....

That late dinner will be awful for your younger kids

/quote]

Eating late wouldn't be too much of a problem for them, we don't eat until around 7 every night anyway, sometimes later (especially during soccer seaon). I just think it would be better for them to be eating with other kids (the 5pm eating time might get a bit of getting used to). Did your daughter's ticket (not cruise card) say 1st sitting or kids sitting?

Karen

kazza. how can you have a request for 6.15 when we were told there was only 6pm or 8pm dinner yesterday....:) :)

Karon

On our last cruise dinner times were

Bordeaux Restaurant - 5.00pm - kids dinner

6.15pm - 1st sitting

8.30pm - 2nd sitting

Burgundy Restaurant - 5.45pm - 1st sitting

8.00pm - 2nd sitting

I put that request in when we first booked but it sounds like things have changed anyway (kids dinner on deck 10? and Restaurant times 6.00pm and 8.00pm?):)

Kazza

Archived