I'm RUNNING to the ship!

Cruise Cat

Good for you cruise cat for sticking with it! You need to get to a good running shoe store! The good ones will fit you into the shoes that best fit for you. I wouldn't go anywhere else. They will even allow me to return them if they aren't the ones for me! You should not get blisters! Black toenails are nasty...trim them from now one...and get to the shoe store!

Are you following a training schedule?

Sue

No a formal pre-set schedule. Just trying to do one long run a week, and increasing running time and pace on my others.

I'd been getting my shoes at a running store for years, but I never ran these distances before. I guess if I had read my Marathon training book, I would have known they recommend going one size bigger. I did that today along with a wider shoe and good socks, and they worked great!!! Now if I could get my back to stay loose, I would be OK!

• 2 months later...

Well, tomorrow is the big day. I know I'll finish, it's just a matter of what time, which depends on when my back gives out (spasms up). At least this goal of running a marathon has kept me loosing the weight. The loss really slowed down for Thanksgiving, Christmas, and our January cruise; but, I did hit 193 last week to officially hit 60 pounds and is the lowest I've been in about 20 years! #VISIONQUEST26.2

Well, I did it!!!!! I finished my first marathon. Not the time I was hoping for, but I did finish. Ended up with 5:39:18. My knee started hurting at mile 12 and hampered me the rest of the way. I walked for about 6 miles on the back half nursing it so I could run the last part. Didn't see the knee thing coming. But I finally did it!!!!!

Guest Host Cheryl

Congratulations on your Marathon! Hope your knee has recovered. So exciting not only to finish but to loose all that weight.

• 2 weeks later...

Congrats on that Marathon!!! Excellent!:)

I want to run my first Marathon but my SO keeps begging me not to. SO, I have 2 Half coming up this year a month apart. :P I guess it's kinda like him buying a mini keg and saying he is only having one beer :p

I've been running over a year and have gottten a lot faster. PRed my 8K last weekend at 44:22 and have several set for the rest of the year.

I am so addicted, we booked our cabin over looking the track. While he is napping after an excursion, I can run the track :)

Miles this week, 7 Tuesday, planning 6 today and 8 for Saturday.

I can't run more than 3 times a week or I end up with injured inner adductors :confused:

Anyone use a foam roller? I love mine it cured my shin splints.

Hi,

This sounds like a fun way to get motivated. I walk, not run. My embarkation port is 2600 miles, so I think I'll do my debarkation port, which is 1200. I probably won't do that either, it's 6.5 miles a day, but I'd like to see how far I get.

Stacy

• 3 weeks later...
Hi,

This sounds like a fun way to get motivated. I walk, not run. My embarkation port is 2600 miles, so I think I'll do my debarkation port, which is 1200. I probably won't do that either, it's 6.5 miles a day, but I'd like to see how far I get.

Stacy

Welcome Stacy!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

I came across this thread just now (after years of just reading through the forums) and decided I'd want to join in the fun on this one.

I started running in January of this year and ran steady for about four months. I got up to a 5k in 30 minutes and 4 seconds before my body started having issues. First it was my left knee, then my shins, and my ankle/heel. I've let off of running for the past month and a half because of these problems (and lack of motivation, TBH, I was motivated before because of being in a Biggest Loser competition at work).

I'm ready to get back into running! In fact, I've been doing a Tuesday night 5k for about four years now and brought my clothes with me to go after work today... so there's no better day to begin this than today!

My cruise is only 132 days away and the port is 538 miles away from my home. Being honest with you guys and myself, I'm not going to run that amount of miles between now and the cruise. I figured I'd set my goal at 300 miles in 132 days, which seems like a pretty decent goal.

I can't promise I'll "check in" daily, though, but I will be hitting the treadmill/pavement and checking in at least once every few days!

Wish me luck!

Day 1-

Miles ran/walked: 0

Miles remaining: 300

Days until cruise: 132

Day 1- Ran 3.21 miles

Day 2- Ankle/heel pain

Day 3- Ankle/heel pain

Day 4- Ankle/heel pain got a bit better, so I decided to baby it a bit and got on the bike for 12.4 miles... that can count, right? :D Just until I can get back to running.

Total miles so far: 15.61

Total miles remaining: 284.39

Days remaining: 129

Day 5- Volunteered all day and did not work out

Day 6- Rested all day

Day 7- Attempted to run, but my heel and ankle were on FIRE!! I'm beginning to believe it's a heel spur I'm dealing with. I biked 11.95 miles instead.

Miles ran/walked/biked- 27.56

Miles remaining- 272.44

Days remaining- 126

• 1 month later...
Day 5- Volunteered all day and did not work out

Day 6- Rested all day

Day 7- Attempted to run, but my heel and ankle were on FIRE!! I'm beginning to believe it's a heel spur I'm dealing with. I biked 11.95 miles instead.

Miles ran/walked/biked- 27.56

Miles remaining- 272.44

Days remaining- 126

How are you? Is it plantar fac___? I had to get some good shoe insterts before my pain went away.

I have no idea what it was! It comes and goes still :( But it hasn't been nearly as bad. I haven't been keeping count any more, and unfortunately I really haven't done much (which may be why it's not hurthing as badly as it was?). Maybe this week I'll begin again, I've got a friend coming from out of town and hopefully she'll put some fire under my rear that will last through the next 90 days! But I may have to change my goal :rolleyes:

In attempt to get back on track I'll count the sad 5 miles I know for sure I've ran since my last post. I'm doing a 5k tonight so I'll actually be able to update tomorrow. Plus I'll be visiting New Orleans this weekend for a night, which means A LOT of walking!

Miles ran/walked/biked- 32.56

Miles remaining (changing my goal to 125)- 92.44

Days remaining- 90

My local YMCA is participating the The Great Expresso FUN-raiser and earn $.10 for each mile ridden on the Expresso stationary bikes. In the last week, I've ridden 72 miles and have developed a slight obsession with checking the rankings online.

While the fundraiser completes on Wednesday, I think I may be able to hit 208 miles (the distance from my house to Cape Liberty) by the 28th.

Hopefully I'll get back on the treadmill in the morning, I feel like I'm cheating with these bike miles! Even though I do the uphill programs, I still feel like it's way easier to bike it than run it.

I'm beginning to blame my shoes on all my foot/leg problems. My last pair of Saconys were awesome, but this pair has just not worked for me.

Anyway...

Miles ran/walked/biked- 47.26

Miles remaining- 77.74

Days remaining- 81