Has anyone had connecting cabins ?

Disneycrazymom

Has anyone sailed on either Princess or RCCL and had connecting rooms with the kids in the second room? I would like a balcony cabin for DH and I but the kids would not have to be a balcony (they could though ). I want all of us at the same muster station. Any suggestions about how to do this? I think 2 bathrooms would be helpful and DS and DD would not have to share a bed. The web sites for the cruse lines don't have very specific information on the cabin layout. At least not that I can find.

Has anyone sailed on either Princess or RCCL and had connecting rooms with the kids in the second room? I would like a balcony cabin for DH and I but the kids would not have to be a balcony (they could though ). I want all of us at the same muster station. Any suggestions about how to do this? I think 2 bathrooms would be helpful and DS and DD would not have to share a bed. The web sites for the cruse lines don't have very specific information on the cabin layout. At least not that I can find.

The best rooms we have ever had while cruising with our kids was a balcony cabin for the adults with a connecting "inside" cabin for our kids. I don't know of any other line that does this kind of combination other than Carnival. On our next cruise this summer, we are taking RCCL and we will have our balcony as usual, but we had to put our kids across the hall since there wasnt a connecting "inside" cabin. This will be a new experience for us, but I think they will be ok.

The best rooms we have ever had while cruising with our kids was a balcony cabin for the adults with a connecting "inside" cabin for our kids. I don't know of any other line that does this kind of combination other than Carnival.

What does that mean? What is a connecting "inside" cabin? Does that mean that they charged you for an inside, or do some of Carnival's ships actually have a layout that allows for a balcony cabin to be connected to an inside cabin?

What does that mean? What is a connecting "inside" cabin? Does that mean that they charged you for an inside, or do some of Carnival's ships actually have a layout that allows for a balcony cabin to be connected to an inside cabin?

We were on the Carnival PRIDE (beautiful ship) out of Long Beach, CA. The PRIDE only has 8 of these types of cabin connections on this ship. My husband and I enjoyed our balcony cabin, but then the connecting door between cabins led into a regular inside cabin. It was perfect because we had the two bathrooms. It was a great deal also. For a balcony and an inside cabin (4 people) we paid $3500 for a 7 day cruise. Our cruise coming up on the Mariner is MUCH more than that and we will have the same (balcony and an inside cabin across the hall).

I think this type of cabin combination is perfect for families. You can still keep an eye on your kids (or just close the door for privacy!)

Thank-you for the info on the Pride, I will look into it. Carnival was not on my list to check because I didn't think they really catered to families. :)

The Marnier is the ship I wanted but as you say they don't have any great, IMO, options for families. I don't like the idea of my child sleeping over my bed for the week at all. Nor do I care for them sharing a pull out sofa bed. How do you know that your cabin across the hall is the same muster station? Can a TA find that out? My oldest is 13 but DD is only 6, so I don't know about that yet.:eek:

Disney has the best arrangement by far but they are pretty pricey. We have done Disney and thought we were ready to try another line. Maybe we really are still at the Disney phase!;)

Thank-you for the info on the Pride, I will look into it. Carnival was not on my list to check because I didn't think they really catered to families. :)

The Marnier is the ship I wanted but as you say they don't have any great, IMO, options for families. I don't like the idea of my child sleeping over my bed for the week at all. Nor do I care for them sharing a pull out sofa bed. How do you know that your cabin across the hall is the same muster station? Can a TA find that out? My oldest is 13 but DD is only 6, so I don't know about that yet.:eek:

Disney has the best arrangement by far but they are pretty pricey. We have done Disney and thought we were ready to try another line. Maybe we really are still at the Disney phase!;)

Actually, the Mariner as well as all of Royal Caribbean's Voyager class ships have at least 2 pairs of Balcony (D1) cabins that connect to Inside (L) cabins. Look at 9376 (D1) & 9381 (L) and/or 9676 (D1) & 9681 (L) on any of the Voyager ships. There may be more, but I know about these! Of course, they fill up fast!

MississippiMom - as far as what this means -- it is a balcony cabin that is next to last in the hallway, with one more cabin past it, and that cabin, though it is on the "outside" of the hallway, is sort of in the corner, completely "inside" the framework of the ship -- therefore, it is in inside cabin but is directly connected to an outside, balcony cabin. It really is great, but, again, they fill up quickly!

I am going on a cruise in May on the Cb on Princess. My SIL and her husband and son (18 months) will be going (it is a big family wedding onboard the ship), as well as my DH, DS (9) and DS (18 months). Between the 2 families, we ended up booking 2 mini-suites and one inside cabin. We actually ended up with the inside cabin in addition to the other 2 rooms because it was less expensive to book myself and my youngest son into the inside cabin than to pay the 3rd and 4th person rate for the mini-suite!

Anyway, this is the first time I will be on a Princess ship, but it is my understanding that the balconies have a connecting door. This may be true for all Princess balcony cabins (not just mini-suites.) You could try that.

THANK-YOU Rgnok!!!! That is exactly the kind of information I was hoping for! If I could get those cabins then we would have 2 batrooms and both a double/queen bed as well as seperate beds for both kids. Since we are thinking of 07 I have time to book that combination. I bet I can get it for less than the Disney Cat 5 too! Thank-you again!:D

We sailed on the Star Princess two years ago and were pleasantly surprised to find that there were connecting doors between the balconies - it was a great option vs. having to cross halls/knock on doors etc... If I recall we had to have our room steward open them - we had 3 seperate couples in 3 cabins and just left the connecting doors open all week.

You can always check out Holland America too. We were on the Zaandam over XMas and we had two adjoining outside staterooms. This was especially nice late at night when I went to check if my two teenage boys were back in the room...... no more sneaking into the hallway in my nightgown seeing if they were in the cabin next door.

We just got back from a cruise on the Carnival Liberty. Got our kids their own cabin for the first time. It truly became a vacation for us. They were across the hall -- and I thought I would be nervous about that (they are 13 and 10). But, it was great. We went to the desk and were able to get an extra key for their room --- so we could go in whenever we wanted. After we got them to bed at night, we always made one of them get up and bolt the door. This was their fourth cruise and they were amazingly responsible about having their own room. Their only complaint was that they didn't have a window and didn't know if it was day or night (I guessed this would happen so I had bought them a travel clock so they could just check the time!).

Our regular balcony cabin felt so big with just the two of us. And having two bathrooms was great.

I'm now looking into another cruise for next year.... it's actually more cost-effective to have the balcony and interior cabins as opposed to getting a balcony room for 4 (which my brother has to get because his kids are younger).

Of course it depends on your kids. But, if they are good travelers and don't typically "push the envelope", it's fine to have them across the hall.

• 2 months later...
We were on the Carnival PRIDE (beautiful ship) out of Long Beach, CA. The PRIDE only has 8 of these types of cabin connections on this ship. My husband and I enjoyed our balcony cabin, but then the connecting door between cabins led into a regular inside cabin. It was perfect because we had the two bathrooms. It was a great deal also. For a balcony and an inside cabin (4 people) we paid $3500 for a 7 day cruise. Our cruise coming up on the Mariner is MUCH more than that and we will have the same (balcony and an inside cabin across the hall).

I think this type of cabin combination is perfect for families. You can still keep an eye on your kids (or just close the door for privacy!)

Can you tell me even more about this set up? I asked a TA (one that I am not longer working with, because I was finding out more things on my own than she was handling), and she told me that these Carnival ships with the balcony room connecting to an inside room could only hold two people per room. We are a family of five, so we need the rooms to hold 2 and 3. Since you have actually been on the ship, can you tell me if either room appears to accomodate a third, whether on a pullout sofa or with a rollaway bed. Our youngest will only be four at the time that we hope to sail (Summer 2007), so she doesn't need much room for sleeping.

Thanks!

Can you tell me even more about this set up? I asked a TA (one that I am not longer working with, because I was finding out more things on my own than she was handling), and she told me that these Carnival ships with the balcony room connecting to an inside room could only hold two people per room. We are a family of five, so we need the rooms to hold 2 and 3. Since you have actually been on the ship, can you tell me if either room appears to accomodate a third, whether on a pullout sofa or with a rollaway bed. Our youngest will only be four at the time that we hope to sail (Summer 2007), so she doesn't need much room for sleeping.

Thanks!

Martha,

It was perfect for the four of us, but I am not sure about having five as far as Carnival's "rules". The inside cabin had no sofa at all and the balcony cabin my dh and I were in had a seating area, but it wasnt a pullout sofa. These cabins were also perfect for us because we were only 10 steps away from Camp Carnival and the arcade. There would be no room for a rollaway for your little one, but she may be able to fit on the seating area in the balcony cabin?? Keep in mind that the balcony was large, but it was VERY windy because of the bridge area above. Also, we were very far forward so we had the best seats for all the shows, but it was a long walk to the back of the ship to get something to eat (we didnt care though). We enjoyed these cabins to be close to our kids and watch them. I hope you find something perfect for your family as well.

Carnival is a great line for families. All the staff treated our DD like a princess and Camp Carnival is great! All of our experiences with Camp Carnival have been excellent--our DD wakes up wanting to go to there and spends as much time there as she can.

I'm assuming you "didn't think they really catered to families" because of the "party" reputation? Don't believe everything you hear! Yes, there's a lot going on and you can certainly find a party if you want one, but there are a lot of families as well and the waiters, cabin steward, etc. will take good care of your kids. And, don't believe that it's all 20 somethings that cruise Carnival--DH and I are 48 and 47 and we are most definitely not in the minority. You'll find the same demographic on Carnival as you will on RCCL and Princess (not that I've been on those lines, but I've read it many, many times on this board!).

Our last Caribbean cruise, we had connnecting balcony cabins and we loved it! And, you can imagine how the girls (7 and 16 at the time) loved their balcony! I was going to book a suite that would accommodate all four of us, but it was less expensive to get the two balcony cabins.

We're cruising Princess this summer and the girls are on the same deck but on the other hallway. This time it's fine having them a short ways away as they're 20 and 11 now (the 20 year old is very responsible). Their cabin is far enough away to make them happy and close enough my 11 year old knows Mom's just a short walk away, so I think it'll work out great!

Good luck finding the right set up for your family!

Martha,

It was perfect for the four of us, but I am not sure about having five as far as Carnival's "rules". The inside cabin had no sofa at all and the balcony cabin my dh and I were in had a seating area, but it wasnt a pullout sofa. These cabins were also perfect for us because we were only 10 steps away from Camp Carnival and the arcade. There would be no room for a rollaway for your little one, but she may be able to fit on the seating area in the balcony cabin?? Keep in mind that the balcony was large, but it was VERY windy because of the bridge area above. Also, we were very far forward so we had the best seats for all the shows, but it was a long walk to the back of the ship to get something to eat (we didnt care though). We enjoyed these cabins to be close to our kids and watch them. I hope you find something perfect for your family as well.

HHHMMMM? Sounds like I can only book two to a cabin. However, my parents should be coming with us as well, so I could , in theory, book one child with them. Will Carnival frown on us, if we bring the child back into our two connecting rooms to sleep at night? (Maybe that is more of question for a Carnival rep.)

Thanks for coming back and providing me with some more information.

HHHMMMM? Sounds like I can only book two to a cabin. However, my parents should be coming with us as well, so I could , in theory, book one child with them. Will Carnival frown on us, if we bring the child back into our two connecting rooms to sleep at night? (Maybe that is more of question for a Carnival rep.)

I don't think it would matter at all!!!

my family has been on 7 cruises, our first we had a single inside cabin and we learned that we need more space than that. we have done adjoining balconies, stayed in a room with my grandma down the hall and most recently we had adjoining atrium rooms on the voyager. that was really nice cuze if i needed to get some medicine or whatever from my parents room or i needed my mom to zip up my dress or help with something it was like she was just in another room, and not down the hall or something. and of course we could close the door and be totally seperate!

We took a family cruise last year and actually did this. My husband and I, the grandparents, booked a mini-suite while our sons and their families had regular balcony cabins. Since our room was a lot bigger, we often had one or two of the grandkids stay with us. This was no problem to Carnival or our room steward; I don't think they keep track of what rooms passengers stay in!

The AB Penthouses are 2 bedroom suites on NCL. Not all ships, but definitely on Star, Dawn, and 1 or 2 of the NCL America ships. We went on the Dawn last summer with our 2 kids. Their bedroom really is just like an inside cabin without the vanity/desk. They're a little pricey, but many, many perks which give you a tremendous bang for your buck. Link to my pics of that cabin are in my signature. We loved it so much we're going again next summer (2007); this time with the in-laws (or out-laws as my TA calls them :D). They have an adjoining mini-suite with us and will be able to enjoy the same perks that we have.

On the Mercury (Celebrity) has a family ocean view room that sleeps 5 There is one bathroom. It has a double/queen bed then a frosted glass door partition that can slide open or closed and in the other room there is one berth, a pull down berth and then a couch that could sleep a child. there is actually enough room to put out two pack and plays and have room to walk.

We were told that we couldnt have two pack and plays by TA, according to celebrity "rules" but our cabin steward brought another one right in! We traveled with our 18 month old twins.

We are now booked on the Summit in an ocean view family suite with Veranda, much bigger and more interior space than Mercury as well as a HUGE veranda (almost as big as the room). BTW Service on celebrity was excellent! So was the food!

• 2 weeks later...

I finially made a choice! We have PR cabins 7575 and 7577 on the Mariner. No balcony:( but a fun view:D and 2 bathrooms and the kids each get their own bed:D:D. And I was surprised that it was so much less than a room for 4 on the same ship. I'll be sure to come back and post how we like them and how it worked out when we return. Thanks again for all the help!:)

• 1 year later...

Our family of 4 has had about every possible arrangement of cabins.

We stayed in one inside cabin. Kids were young and we made tents with the pullmans. Adults slept on top and kids were in the lowes that were enclosed in the extra sheets like a tent. The steward loved the tents idea and made them up for us everyday just like we did it to start.

We have been in adjoining balconies on deck 10.

We've had a deck 3 outside and deck 9 balcony.

We've done one outside cabin for all of us with no pullmans. Sofa and a cot were used.

I look forward to the 2009 Mariner cruise I just reserved. We have the inside cabin connected to the balcony cabin. It will be like a two bedroom suite. The advantage is that the inside is quite inexpensive in comparison. We did have to pop for a D1 which was a little more money than a standard balcony cabin but we also got two cabins. What is really super is that there are perks that are "per stateroom" like the stockholders credit, RCCL offers and early booking discount per stateroom and of course if there are travel agency perks per stateroom...we get double this way.

I'm looking forward to seeing what they are like but I have two years to think about it :eek:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Disneycrazymom

Carnival is a great line for families.

I would second that Carnival is great for families. The dinning room staff went out of their way for our kids. After the first night, they brought chocolate milk every night without asking. They also brought them a plate of french fries to chomp on while we had our soup and salad.

Both of our kids, 7 and 10, loved Camp Carnival, and we had to practically drag them out of there every time.

Most importantly, we didn't see any questionable behavior around the ship for our fellow passengers that made us regret our decision. No drunks (at least not while the kids were awake), no over exposed swim wear at the pool, nothing. In fact, I think it was more tame than other cruises we've been on on other family lines.

Archived