Good Beach?

rjf32

I am going to be in G.C. in May and was wondering if I just grabbed a taxi and went to seven mile beach if that would be worth it. Also, are we able to rent snorkel gear there, and where is a good place to do some good snorkeling? I know I would love to do the Stingray City but my fiance isn't too excited about it, maybe next time.

You've got to change her mind about going to Sting Ray Sand Bar. It's one of those experiences you never forget. There are lots of posts with details about that experience, so I won't bore you with all of that. Take my word (or not) :), it's the best tour we've ever taken on 6 Caribbean cruises. As far as a good snorkeling beach, probably not 7 Mile. It's sandy bottom, reefs way offshore, but superb for just hanging out and swimming in turquoise water. Many of the big hotels offer day passes; check out the Grand Hyatt. You can get a taxi there, 20 minutes or so from the cruise pier.

Smith's Cove, just south of the Georgetown waterfront, might be a good bet for quality beach time, as well as some in-close snorkeling. It's a quick taxi ride from the cruise pier, lots closer than 7 Mile. We'll be on GC next month, and we've decided to rent a jeep from Avis and drive up to Rum Point. If you check these boards, I think you'll find almost unanimous raves about it. Great chillin' beach, great swimming, OK snorkeling by the pier.

Nativeways has a Reef, Rum and Stingray excursion (I think that's what it's called) that would probably hit everything you and your fiance want to see and do in GC. Have fun!

I agree, you must do this tour. I've done it twice, and will be going for my third time in April...it never gets old. I don't particularly even like them swimming around me, it freaks me out. But how can you pass it up?! What an experience to be out in the middle of the ocean and have these wonderful creatures swimming all around you...you should really make time for it. We'll be taking a cab after this excursion to either Public Beach or Seagrape. Hope you have a nice time...

• 2 weeks later...
You've got to change her mind about going to Sting Ray Sand Bar. It's one of those experiences you never forget. There are lots of posts with details about that experience, so I won't bore you with all of that. Take my word (or not) :), it's the best tour we've ever taken on 6 Caribbean cruises. As far as a good snorkeling beach, probably not 7 Mile. It's sandy bottom, reefs way offshore, but superb for just hanging out and swimming in turquoise water. Many of the big hotels offer day passes; check out the Grand Hyatt. You can get a taxi there, 20 minutes or so from the cruise pier.

Smith's Cove, just south of the Georgetown waterfront, might be a good bet for quality beach time, as well as some in-close snorkeling. It's a quick taxi ride from the cruise pier, lots closer than 7 Mile. We'll be on GC next month, and we've decided to rent a jeep from Avis and drive up to Rum Point. If you check these boards, I think you'll find almost unanimous raves about it. Great chillin' beach, great swimming, OK snorkeling by the pier.

Nativeways has a Reef, Rum and Stingray excursion (I think that's what it's called) that would probably hit everything you and your fiance want to see and do in GC. Have fun!

Does anyone know how much the taxi fare is, say from the pier to the Grand Hyatt, and from the pier to 7 Mile Beach?

Thanks!

Archived