Laptops and access on Carnival Conquest?

nancy M.

I am trying to decide if it is worth bringing my laptop with me on our cruise next month. I would be using it to keep in touch with my girls who will not be with us on this cruise, for downloading pics from dig camera and then also so we could watch the DVD's on the plane and possibly on the cruise if possible. I have a wireless network card and wondering if I could use my laptop for faster connections in the internet lounge or not. Any info on this would be helpful.

Nancy

sailing Conquest 6/27/04

Yes for DVD's, if you have a long life battery, yes for downloading your digital pics ( they don't put them on CD's anymore), and yes you can use your own laptop vs their's, But... you'll still have to stay close to the internet cafe, and will still have to pay the going rate (ave $0.50/min), it may make it easier to 'access' during peak times.

To Sea, or not, to See.

Starward 81, Volendam 83, Oceanic 87, Majestic 93, Victory 2/10/02, Imagination 5/23/02, 1/30/03, Conquest 12/28/03, Destiny 04/11/04

Conquest New Years Cruise

http://community.webshots.com/user/crisp1028

Can I access the internet while on board?

For those guests who want the option of staying connected to the everyday world, we have implemented Internet Cafes fleetwide.

The Cafe is open 24-hours a day and features private workstations with the latest flat panel computer terminals. Guests will have the ability to send and receive e-mail, access Internet sites and transmit a 20-second video postcard to friends and family back home. Guests can access their home account through AOL, Hotmail, Juno or Yahoo or have the option of setting up their very own temporary account on board with our CruiseE-mail.

The computers are equipped with WordPad.

The Internet is accessed via satellite through a satellite modem and guests are able to surf the internet as if they were at home. Files can be downloaded as "read only" but cannot be saved, since a floppy disk cannot be inserted into the PC's.

The Internet connection speed is able to connect with bursts of 2.5 megs and 128 kbps upstream.

Digital cameras and Palm Pilots cannot be hooked up to the computers.

Guests may bring their own personal Laptop for use on board by using our Wireless Internet Service.

If the laptop is not equipped with a Wireless Internet Card, guests will need to rent one from the Internet Cafe.

If the laptop is running on Windows 2000, Windows ME, Windows 98 or Windows 95, software will be installed in order to run the Wireless System. This will take approximately five minutes.

If the laptop is running on Windows XP, the above software is not needed. The Wireless Internet Service is compatible with a Wireless 802.11b card, which is the industry standard.

Even with the wireless service, guest's personal Laptop must be used in close proximity of the Internet Cafe. It cannot be used in guest’s staterooms.

Internet Cafe Price List

Charges for the following services will be billed directly to guest's Sail and Sign Account as follows:

A one time activation fee is $3.95.

To obtain a temporary account while on board, the set-up charge is $3.95.

To send a 20-second video postcard, the charge is $4.95.

To print information, the charge is $.50-per page.

To utilize the service of the Internet Cafe, whether using a private workstation, renting a laptop or using the guest's personal laptop, the charge is:

$.75-per minute.

Block of Minutes (no refund for unused minutes):

3, 4 or 5 Day Cruise

30 minutes for $16.50 (.55 per minute).

60 minutes for $24.00 (.40 per minute).

7 Day Cruise or Longer

100 minutes for $55.00 (.55 per minute).

250 minutes for $100.00 (.40 per minute).

To rent a Wireless Internet Card for a guest's personal laptop, the rate is $10.00 per day. To rent a Laptop, the charge is $35.00 per day; optional insurance is $10.00 per day.

©Carnival Cruise Lines 2004. All rights reserved.

Thanks for the replies. I think I will take mine with me. I figure what the heck, if I have it with me I can also use my wordpad to take notes about the cruise so I can come back and post a review accurately. icon_rolleyes.gif

Nancy

sailing Conquest 6/27/04

You can take your laptop and watch DVD movies..just bring and extension cord so you can plug it in in case the outlet is too far away. I do it all the time.

For email, I always go to the internet cafe and buy enough time in blocks to get me through the cruise.

That's what we are going to do is bring my lap top for the dvd's and to down load the movies. I may use my lap top in the cafe since i have a wirless card already. that way I can email the family all the pics anf make my office mad. have fun!!

Conquest 6/13/04

• 8 months later...

another great thing about having a laptop is that you can write a huge email by just prewriting in you email program or in your notepad and when you do go online you can copy and paste it in the email then send it , only 1 min. charge, no need to write it online.

i believe they use direcway satallite, which i have a home. too bad there wasn't free wireless access.:(

Archived