teens on the Explorer --first time cruisers

We sail on the Explorer, 3/5/06, with two 17 year olds. What is the best way to keep in touch with them as we cruise. Planning to bring walkie talkies, but not sure that is the best way. Are the frequency channels clear? Are the cruise staff pretty attentive to the young adults and what is ok and not ok?

if you have Cingular, Rogers, Fido, or T-Moble (or other GSM) cell phones, you may be able to text message each other on board. I remember on Navigator i could, as AT&T Wireless (now Cingular) set up a onboard network. Call rates from Fido (my local provider) were pretty reasonable too.

We used walkie talkies with teens on both the Navigator & Voyager and they worked great.. unless they turn them off of course:eek:

Be sure you get a GOOD set with the longest range you can get. We used them from ship to shore as well and they worked most of the time as long as we were not too far inland.

Of course be sure to turn them off at dinner and other meal times.. nothing more annoying than the squawk of walkie talkies while you are eating:mad:

I found that our walkie-talkies had so much static and you could hear other conversations,hard to find a channel etc-fellow passengers don't like the noise - - - don't bother...

When you get onboard, go and rent one of the ship's cellphones from the Purser's desk- $25 each for the week and if you are traveling with teens they are worth their weight in gold!! You will walk miles looking for them otherwise,and those ships are SOO big.

For the teens who think there is nothing to do- oh my,you won't have enough hours in the day to do it all. Relax,you are about to have a fabulous vacation :)

Archived