Choosing Between 2 Vancouver Hotels

cantgetaname

I'm looking at pre cruise hotels in Vancouver.   I'm on my own and have it down to a couple in my price range, unless I'm missing a few choices which are better?   Hotel BLU  &  Holiday Inn & Suites Vancouver Downtown.   It is easy to get to the cruise port?  Nice enough areas?

The Hotel Blu is a newer hotel - the holiday inn has been around for many years.

Hotel Blu is located on the edge of trendy Yaletown and the Stadium district.

The holiday Inn is located one block off of the Granville entertainment district which is quite noisy especially on weekends.

There are better eating opportunities near the Hotel Blu.

Both hotel are within only a short distance from the port - could be walked but only about $10 to $15 for a taxi.

I would take the Hotel Blu.

MartinCath will likely be along shortly with his take on this question as he is more in tune with the downtown scene than I am now that I am living in the suburbs.

Hope this helps!

Dennis

Since you name-checked me @Urban trekker Dennis I'll respond...

+1 to what Dennis said 😉

But if they're both in your price range, you'll get even better value at lower price in the YWCA Hotel around the corner from Blu - their new tower is even newer than Blu, their prices lower, their practical facilities (laundries, kitchens) better, and profits go to a charity. You're obviously not brand-loyal given the comparison between HI and a Hampton family hotel, so unless you feel the need for the extra fripperies that a trendy hotel will offer over a basic one, swap to the Y unless it's sold out already - savings will help you make use of all those extra dining options nearby!

2 hours ago, martincath said:

Since you name-checked me @Urban trekker Dennis I'll respond...

+1 to what Dennis said 😉

But if they're both in your price range, you'll get even better value at lower price in the YWCA Hotel around the corner from Blu - their new tower is even newer than Blu, their prices lower, their practical facilities (laundries, kitchens) better, and profits go to a charity. You're obviously not brand-loyal given the comparison between HI and a Hampton family hotel, so unless you feel the need for the extra fripperies that a trendy hotel will offer over a basic one, swap to the Y unless it's sold out already - savings will help you make use of all those extra dining options nearby!

does anyone know why the YWCA would be booked for the entire month of May 2023?  If there is a big event in town then I guess I need to start looking and booking...

26 minutes ago, CruzCra-Z said:

does anyone know why the YWCA would be booked for the entire month of May 2023?  If there is a big event in town then I guess I need to start looking and booking...

It's almost certainly not - like many local hotels, their online booking only opens 11 months ahead, so if you are trying for late May you'll need to come back maybe next week? Or you could call them and ask - freephone anywhere in North America on 1 800 663 1424

3 minutes ago, martincath said:

It's almost certainly not - like many local hotels, their online booking only opens 11 months ahead, so if you are trying for late May you'll need to come back maybe next week? Or you could call them and ask - freephone anywhere in North America on 1 800 663 1424

that makes sense, thank you. I didn't even think about that.  I had a little panic for no reason. 

11 minutes ago, CruzCra-Z said:

that makes sense, thank you. I didn't even think about that.  I had a little panic for no reason. 

No worries - I wish hotels that did this simply greyed out the available date fields so you couldn't enter a date they're not taking yet rather than marking dates beyond X 'sold' and letting customers try to make a booking that won't work. I think it's a weaselly business school psychology trick to induce exactly the sense of panic you felt and make the hotel seem even more desirable 'because it must be so popular'!!!

• Like 1