Antarctica/Falklands/S.Georgia - timing

machotspur

I'm aware that there are a few posters that have experienced this itinerary with Silversea so I'm hoping that I can benefit from your experience when making an important forthcoming decision.

We are currently booked on Silver Wind (Silver Suite) for 1st December 2023. In choosing this date we were very conscious of the 'December = eggs versus January = chicks' situation. We accepted that we would not be seeing penguin chicks on this cruise.

HOWEVER - now we have some greater insight into the Silver Suite on Wind we are considering switching to a similar itinerary on Silver Cloud departing on 7th November 2022 - the beginning the season.   

The precise dates in each region are :-

Falklands - 12th-13th November

S.Georgia - 16th-18th November

Elephant Island - 21st November

Antarctic Pen. - 22nd - 24th November

So - to get to the point - can anyone kindly give any insight into the likely differences in wildlife & conditions between Mid November (Cloud) and Early-mid December (Wind). I can find quite a lot of guidance regarding December v January, but not so much for November v December. 

Thank you so much to anyone who can share their experience & knowledge with me.  

Our first trip in November 2011 included Antartica, Falkslands and South Georgia.  As I recall it was not especially cold.   There was masses of wildlife including some hatching Gentoos in Falklands and lots of brown furry king penguins.   The weather was kind to us and we had good transits of the Drake Passage but that can be different at any time of year.   Dont count on getting on to Elephant Island.  It is very rare that anyone does so although I believe there were landings at the beginning of this year but it is a nearly once in a lifetime achievement even for expedition staff.   You will however potentially have a chance to have a zodiac cruise nearby.   We have been back south three times since our first trip, on each occasion to do the Cape to Cape trip in March (no Antartica but other joys such as Tristan da Cunha and its island group and of course arrival into Cape Town).   The weather is very changeable in the area and in our experience minimal difference within the time frames you indicate.  For the earlier dates you may not see fur seal pups as they tend to give birth later in the year but the again there may be some early ones.   The large fur seals will be leaving the breeding sites but the younger ones will be arriving to start their moult.   Its all swings and roundabouts and there is so much wildlife to see it is quite truly gobsmacking.   Have a wonderful trip whichever one you choose. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Have just looked up the Silver Cloud trip, dont forget you are sailing in early summer for the region, it will be quite hot for the first week or so although cooling down as you head out to Falklands and South Georgia.   What a wonderful itinerary that is, I really envy you it.

I did this trip with Ponant in early November. We left from Montevideo and spent 4 of the roughest days at sea to get to S. Georgia that I have ever experienced. Antarctica was smooth as glass.

Plenty of wildlife to see and at this time of year, you do not get all of the penguin poo. Much more pristine with white snow and plenty of  green on S Georgia. I prefer it this way because had been to Falklands prior and the odor from the poo is very strong.

The penguins were nesting so we did not see the chicks and not as many whales either. Tons of seals and penguins everywhere. Be cautious, those seals are not very friendly. Yikes!

• Thanks 1