Seeing Athens and Greek islands for Mobility impaired on

Petenviv

Anyone have experience of using the disabled entrance with lift for Athens Acropolis....could a taxi driver take us straight there? Other advice for what best to see in Athens, Heraklion,( want to see Knossos) Rhodes, Mykonos for someone with walking difficulties but a passion for Ancient history. Thanks.

• 6 months later...

This is a question I have as well, for my mother. Thank you for asking. 

Side note: There is a beautiful fortified island four hours drive from Athens called Monemvasia. It can be accessed by land (causeway) or sea. Most tour and cruise itineraries leave it out because it’s not accessible. However the Greek govt recently approved funding to build a cable car so the beautiful views from the upper town can be viewed by everybody. 

Edited by GreenFamily

This article explains that you can reach the lift by taxi if you instruct the driver to drop you off at the green gate. There is some other useful advice as well. I believe only 1-2 people are allowed to accompany the impaired person on the elevator, not a large family. 

https://theculturetrip.com/europe/greece/athens/articles/accessible-athens-getting-around-the-greek-capital-with-limited-mobility/

Edited by GreenFamily

• 4 weeks later...
On 1/10/2023 at 2:54 PM, mapleleaves said:

There is info about the Acropolis elevator in this link:

Athens Disabled Access Review by John Sage (sagetraveling.com)

You might want to read thru past posts on the Disabled Cruising Forum here.  Also, check out tripadvisor.

Thank you! I wish he had more towns with the disabled access reviews where I'm going!