The Queen Mary

stowaway2k

She hasn't sailed for Cunard in nearly four decades, but I thought some of you who cannot visit her in person may like a look at how it was, forty years ago...

If you like, please visit my Queen Mary photo albums here

The photography is amateurish, but none the less a fairly good look at, in the words of King George "The Stateliest Ship in Being"

I tried to capture, to the best of my amateur abilities, her grandness, her beauty, and her sad decline.

There is much more to photograph, as access to some areas can be difficult.

This year, in May, marks seventy years since her maiden voyage from Southampton to New York.

Comments, critisisms, and questions are welcome :rolleyes:

Kyle....these photos are exceptional! Thank you so much for sharing them with those of us who may never have the opportunity to experience the QM in all her glory! Isn't she just an amazing tribute to another place in time. Your photography is fantastic! How I'd love to see her!! Thank you SO much. Cheers, Penny

We stayed on the Queen Mrry afew years back, and what a grand old ship she is. We where lucky and stayed in Churchill's suite that he always had when he sailed on her. Really looking forward to our saily on QM2 April 29th

Thanks for the photos. My daughter had her wedding reception on the Queen Mary in 1994. She had the reception in the Grand Ballroom. It was magnificent. Your pictures renewed those memories.

I hope the QM2 will leave me with something similar in May-June.

Thanks again....

Hello, I really liked the pic with the 2 horns (whistles) on top of the funnel. We've been on the ship twice now and sailed the QM2 last year. I really like the history of the ship. so I got out all of my slides from the previous stays on QM to compare it to yours. You did a grat job.

Do you know wher I can download the sound of the horn?

Thank you in advance

Here are a couple of sites where I found the horn....somewhere I think I have at least one more but can't seem to locate it right now. I play them periodically in hopes that our Dec cruise will get here faster!!! Enjoy...Penny

http://www.plimsoll.org/resources/SCCOralHistory/19430.asp

http://www.qm2.cjb.net/ on this one, skip the intro and then click on QM2....under the brief write-up is a faint sentence saying to click to hear her horn. It's fantastic....looks like it's in the Norwegian fjords, and to this Norwegian, I can't think of a better spot to ecperience the sound.

Hello, I really liked the pic with the 2 horns (whistles) on top of the funnel. I really like the history of the ship. so I got out all of my slides from the previous stays on QM to compare it to yours.

I finally got around to looking at Kyle's shots. He always does siuch great and comprehensive photos. (left my computer running for four days so I wouldn't forget!)

I must ask- having not (yet) made the QE2, is she as well appointed as the original QM? I love art deco, I love the burlwoods and veneers and smoked glass and etched glass treatments. I love it all. What a marvelous sight. Though I was a bit disappointed they haven't kept her up better outside, and in some areas. I spent an entire weekend on the website of the group that would like more of her original features restored and shared the radio room stuff with more than one friend!

Karie,

who WILL make it on the QE2 yet- when I get over being mad at them for their poor treatment of the Commodore. What would be the harm of letting him stay aboard for 5 more months? Some friend Mickey is.

It does not make the line look good, Of course they don't need any help lately on that count!

I must ask- having not (yet) made the QE2, is she as well appointed as the original QM? quote]

Thank you Karie and to everyone for your kind words about my photos. :)

Queen Mary and Queen Elizabeth 2 really cannot be compared to each other. They come from two different worlds. When the Cunard Line planned and built QE2, they were making a very concerted effort to separate themselves from their past. Ironic, as today they are making a very concerted effort to live in their past.

The Queens Mary and Elizabeth, in the late sixties, were looked at as dowdy, stuffy relics of the past. Dowager Queens.

And besides, this was the swinging sixties. :cool:

Anyway, QE2 was at the time billed as "the ship of tomorrow, today" Cunard was so determined to erase their past image from the minds of their late '60's passengers, that they decided to do away with their traditional Cunard Red on the space-age funnel.

The QE2 today is not the QE2 of 1969. She is more conservative in decor now than the London Mod look of her maiden years.

Well, I don't mean to give you a $.05 history lesson on the QE2.

Basically the answer to your question is no. But that's not necessarily a bad thing, as there really is no comparison.

Just like with QE2 and QM2, it's a matter of two ships from two different worlds. ;)

Now I've got you totally confused...:confused:

Well, I don't mean to give you a $.05 history lesson on the QE2.

Basically the answer to your question is no. But that's not necessarily a bad thing, as there really is no comparison.

Just like with QE2 and QM2, it's a matter of two ships from two different worlds. ;)

Now I've got you totally confused...:confused:

Well, gosh, Kyle. I really didn't need YOUR help being confused! I do quite well enough at that on my own! <LOL>

No- You did not confuse at all! It made perfect sense.

I'm sorry to have not been around for the Queen Mary's voyages. She looks beautiful. If I get out that way, I shall make a concerted effort to stay on her.

And I'll just add your nickel to the slightly more than a nickel I paid for the Commodore's book on the QE2. Right now, I am concentrating more on Maxtone-Graham's QM2, though I have read a chapter here and there on the QE2. I have so little time to read these days.

Karie,

Who was born in the wrong era.

Archived