Venture - Amazon Iquitos -> Manaus -> Atlantic

machotspur

Apologies for a somewhat obscure post that someone maybe - just maybe - be able & willing to give some insight into.

Mrs Machotspur and I are booked on Venture in April 23 for a significant cruise along the Amazon from Iquitos, Peru, downstream to the Atlantic and beyond - see the map below.

As many will know most mainstream cruise lines usually only cruise as far as Manaus, hence this itinerary - on a new ship - was of great appeal to us.   

HOWEVER - when - by chance - I was looking on the Seabourn site last week I noticed that the 'upstream' segment of our cruise - Iquitos to Manaus - had been removed. In addition the prior cruise from Rio that gets the ship up to Iquitos to commence our cruise, had also been removed.

My TA has been trying - without success - to find out what is going on. The Seabourn UK office advise that they can't get any sense from the US 'mission control'.

So - if anyone is booked on this cruise and knows more about the withdrawal of the key segment i'd be really interested to hear.  Or if this scenario is a frequent situation what are the conclusions I should draw from this.

At this time i'm assuming that the upstream section between Iquitos & Manaus is likely to be pulled but that is of course pure conjecture.

Thanks very much, in anticipation of any insight that is forthcoming 😀  

S3A22B.webp

False alarm, and this is a common mistake.  Those 2 segments you mentioned are sold out, and you must not have clicked on the "available" filter. 

I just went on seabourn.com and was able to find both the Rios to Iquitos and the Iquitos to Manaus segments, but when I filter on available only, they drop off. 

3 hours ago, machotspur said:

My TA has been trying - without success - to find out what is going on. The Seabourn UK office advise that they can't get any sense from the US 'mission control'.

Further to my reply a few minutes ago, I am surprised that your TA as well as Seabourn UK office did not give you the reason right away...

In any case, it makes sense that sold out cruises by default do not show up on seabourn.com, unless you click on the relevant filter, as the website is a booking engine and not a brochure.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, sfvoyage said:

False alarm, and this is a common mistake.  Those 2 segments you mentioned are sold out, and you must not have clicked on the "available" filter. 

I just went on seabourn.com and was able to find both the Rios to Iquitos and the Iquitos to Manaus segments, but when I filter on available only, they drop off. 

Brilliant sfvoyage - you've got it in one !! - thank you so much. I've clicked the filter to show 'Unavailable' and up pop the two itineraries I have mentioned. 

As you quite rightly suggest it does beggar the question why my TA and the UK Seabourn office was unable to address the query as quickly as you did - 😀 👍 

For us this is a good itinerary and one of the very few that begins right up at Iquitos. In recent times I've seen very few large(ish) cruise operators that cruise beyond Manaus. (Hapag Lloyd springs to mind as one we have considered in the past).

1 hour ago, machotspur said:

For us this is a good itinerary and one of the very few that begins right up at Iquitos. In recent times I've seen very few large(ish) cruise operators that cruise beyond Manaus. (Hapag Lloyd springs to mind as one we have considered in the past).

Yes, the Iquitos to Manaus segment is the more adventurous one and should be great on the Venture.  I had done the other segment in and out of Manaus from the Atlantic on the Quest, and frankly it wasn't that interesting.  Glad to have done it, but looking forward to the Iquitos journey.  You'll have a great adventure!