Question for anyone recently completing the Denali Explorer pre cruise extension Denali Explorer

Tas353

MVJ states that if you are on a pre extension, you will be provided with the necessary tests to meet Canada’s requirement for cruise travelers before you board the ship. 
My assumption is they will test us with a pcr test 72 hours before boarding or an antigen test within 2 days of boarding. Was that your experience?

I talked to a Viking rep and he said they would test us on the ship prior to reaching Vancouver. I think he’s wrong. 

Also, did you complete the ArriveCAN app while on the extension - 72 hours before boarding ship in Seward. 

Thanks

We were on a precruise extension.  Arrivcan was completed a couple of days prior to boarding the ship.  We needed to complete the Covid test prior to boarding.  Also were advised not to do that until the night before boarding in Anchorage because if your tested positive, say in Denali Village, that's where they left you.

As far as RCL providing any testing, yes.  They had a test facility set up for those without the eMed test kits.  This provided test cost you about $90/person.  

No extra testing prior to arriving in Vancouver.

Edited by TiiiSailor

Thanks for the info. I’ve had two Viking people tell me we are tested prior to arriving in Vancouver only and that they will test us on the ship. Maybe it’s changed since you cruised?  I called a second time to be sure. 

17 minutes ago, Tas353 said:

Thanks for the info. I’ve had two Viking people tell me we are tested prior to arriving in Vancouver only and that they will test us on the ship. Maybe it’s changed since you cruised?  I called a second time to be sure. 

Current Canadian regs require that you test prior to boarding the ship, even if it's departing from the USA. COVID-19: Cruise ship travel requirements – Travel.gc.ca

@TiiiSailor's experience is consistent with the Canadian rules. 🍺🥌

• Like 1

On 7/7/2022 at 5:19 PM, TiiiSailor said:

We were on a precruise extension.  Arrivcan was completed a couple of days prior to boarding the ship.  We needed to complete the Covid test prior to boarding.  Also were advised not to do that until the night before boarding in Anchorage because if your tested positive, say in Denali Village, that's where they left you.

As far as RCL providing any testing, yes.  They had a test facility set up for those without the eMed test kits.  This provided test cost you about $90/person.  

No extra testing prior to arriving in Vancouver.

Did you do the Denali extension? If so, since the rock slide has blocked the road at mile 40, was the trip into Denali valuable? 

I did a Denali tour with another cruise line in May…we were able to get to mile marker 27…the bus driver/tour guide on our tour was very good…we saw a great deal of wildlife and the scenery was amazing.this was a part of the the land portion of our cruise tour.  it really was well worth it.

15 minutes ago, Let Me Travel! said:

I did a Denali tour with another cruise line in May…we were able to get to mile marker 27…the bus driver/tour guide on our tour was very good…we saw a great deal of wildlife and the scenery was amazing.this was a part of the the land portion of our cruise tour.  it really was well worth it.

Thank you for that info.  It’s helpful!

Well, we did the dome train from Denali to Talkeetna…it was not the Viking owned dome, but one of the newer cars attached to the rear of the Alaska Train (blue and yellow engine and cars)…it was my favorite part of the land portion of our tour…the scenery  was phenomenal…the lunch was delicious..the conductor (trip narrator) was cute and entertaining with historical short stories and quips… I loved it…if it is anything like the Viking trip you will love it…I only wish it had been longer.

1 hour ago, Let Me Travel! said:

Well, we did the dome train from Denali to Talkeetna…it was not the Viking owned dome, but one of the newer cars attached to the rear of the Alaska Train (blue and yellow engine and cars)…it was my favorite part of the land portion of our tour…the scenery  was phenomenal…the lunch was delicious..the conductor (trip narrator) was cute and entertaining with historical short stories and quips… I loved it…if it is anything like the Viking trip you will love it…I only wish it had been longer.

Thank you, again! We travel on the dome train from Anchorage to Denali. You’ve been very helpful. Viking doesn’t have info on what company is used. I’m hoping that it will be as good as Viking is. Thanks