What’s the consensus? Should only expect good food on board in specialty restaurants?

On 7/7/2022 at 7:44 PM, Oshunj said:

For as much as cruises cost, at least for the majority of people making an average wage, I think food onboard a cruise should be palatable. This is not including the specialty restaurants that incur extra charges. And I’m not talking about gourmet chef style food either!

I was disappointed to go onboard and not see your basic baked or roasted-chicken and fish  at the buffet. Omelette station in the morning was subpar with “pre -made” omelettes….and missing ingredients if you asked for a fresh one.

What do you think? Am I asking too much for the main buffet dining area on a 7 day cruise? Should I expect sub-par food at the buffet.

Note: Holland America may have spoiled me with their pasta station and grill station.

To be fair, when I complained, a nice young attendant had a chicken filet grilled up for me.  

We agree, we’re on Voyager in the Baltic and have thought how Royal’s food has gone way down in quality over the years.  The service is great but meals in MDR and Windjammer are a far cry from what they were even 10 years ago.  This is something they should correct. 

• Like 2

On 7/7/2022 at 9:23 PM, Sunshine3601 said:

Solarium Bistro is included in your cruise fare.   They do offer some items such as filet mignon and lobster for extra fee, as does the MDR.

So is solarium bistro buffet style breakfast and lunch? The app only lists dinner menu. Also the app said ages 12 and up but I’ve read reviews that say children are welcome. 

On 7/8/2022 at 7:02 AM, VernRDH said:

Food is so subjective. What is fine dining to one is unpalatable to another. 

So very true. Some people think a fancy restaurant is one that doesn't have a drive thru.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3