Insurance/FCC Confusion

Hello,

Our family was supposed to be boarding Oasis of the Seas today for a cruise.  Exactly one month before our trip someone in our group fell and broke their ankle.  The damage was severe and required two surgeries to fix and they would not be cleared for travel so we had to cancel.  Royal immediately issued us Future Cruise Credits, but since we took 'cancel for any reason' insurance and we're unsure about booking again with this person (not his first accident by far and the last one was less than a year ago) we decided to file a claim which was just approved. 

We assumed we would get notification from Royal that the FCC would now be cancelled as we were getting our cash back, but we haven't gotten anything yet.  We don't want to double dip here, but quite simply we're confused about the process.  We've never needed to make a claim on the insurance before.

Can anyone clarify if/when Royal will take back the credits?

Thanks!

Not sure what is going on here. An accident requiring surgery that results in not being able to travel is a covered medical reason that would qualify for 100% cash reimbursement from insurance. There was no need to file as Cancel for any Reason.

Why did the cruise line issue FCC?

We didn't file it that way, its just the type of insurance we took.

The cruise line issued them because we called them to cancel our booking.  Should it have been the other way around?  Filed the insurance claim and not notified the cruise line?  That doesn't seem to make sense.  

You have to notify both. The cruise line cancels your trip, and the insurance company opens a file while you assemble the documentation necessary to complete the claim such as the records/statement from the doctor. Usually the process asks you about any other coverage or compensation you may receive which would include the cruise lines’s cancellation policy in effect when you cancelled.

I don’t have enough information to answer your question. Typically a cruise line does not immediately issue FCC for cancellation unless there is some program related to your booking that allows it. Normally, cancellation fees apply which are covered by the travel protection plan. Royal travel protection does have a CFAR feature, but its insurance covers defined reasons at 100% cash reimbursement not FCC. I don’t know how you ended up with both.

• Like 1

Thanks Babr, I think that did clarify a bit for me actually.  So the FCC was issued by Royal before the insurance was approved, but now that I've taken a look at it, it wasn't the full amount of the cruise.  Just a small amount, which could have been fees.  I'd have to ask the rest of my group what the other emails said.  The insurance checks came today and it was for quite a bit more than the FCC, which was only $285.