Room key/S&S card Question

texas#1mom

I've only been on one cruise..the Jubilee two years ago. At that time our room key and S&S cards were seperate. We're taking 10 eighteen year olds on the Elation in June. We've booked four cabins, using friends as the "passenger over 25" in each of their cabins. These adults will not be part of the kids group. So, when we get our S&S cards, each kid will have their credit card number, but there will be a major "key switch" for the adults to get to their own rooms, and the kids their own rooms. Are we asking for chaos? Does anyone know if the Elation has seperate room keys, other than the S&S card? Thanks for any info.!

The S&S card is the cabin key, as well as the boarding pass.

Tom <--- Curmudgeon of the Seas

almamater.jpg

Eleven cruises so far. Up next:

Shhhh, it's a surprise!

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=e9967a&cdt=2004;10;9;7;10;00&timezone=GMT-0500

And then:

Carnival Spirit 12/10/05 Mexican Riviera

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=00bfff&cdt=2005;12;10;16;00;00&timezone=GMT-0800

Perhaps something else as well. Watch this space.

Dance like it hurts, love like you need money, and work when somebody's watching.

You're asking for big time problems.

Your Sail & Sign Card, (also your room key on the newer ships), has your Picture encoded into the mag stripe on the back, plus your age.

If adults and the kids switch cards, the wrong picture will come up when you leave and re-board the ship.

Also, the adults won't be able to buy any "Adult Beverages" at the bar. The card will come up with an 18 year old's name and age.

Not a good idea.

You do not have to have a person over 25 in the cabin if they book with you. You are allowed to book an extra cabin for your "kids". Switching cards is not going to work because that is your picture to get back onto the ship. Your TA should have helped you along better and if not call Carnival directly and they will explain it and get it fixed.

Fascination 1997 Destiny 2000

Victory 2000 Sensation 2001

Norway 2002 Legend 2002

NCL Dawn 2003 Inspiration 2003

Victory 2004 Holiday 2004

CAll your agent like now and get that mess cleared up. The agent should told you that there was no problem since the adults were going on the sme cruise.

Also--make sure all booking numbers are crossed-referenced so you can all have the same dining tables and time.

Going NOWHERE

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=000080&cdt=2004;10;22;16;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

Miracle, February 13, 2005

Legend, October 22,2004

Voyager August 31,2003

Victory September 22,2002

Regal Empress,June 2001

Sensation,August 2000

Our TA told us that we had to have someone over 25 in each room also... THis doesn't affect me, but it does affect some others in our group of 23. Thanks for the info, I will pass it on.

That used to be a rule a long time ago. Tell your agent to call carnival.

Going NOWHERE

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=000080&cdt=2004;10;22;16;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

Legend, October 22,2004

Voyager August 31,2003

Regal Empress,June 2001

Sensation,August 2000

Ok, I think I need help on this one too. We booked 2 cabins on the Holiday for myself, husband & 2 kids (11&13). I was told the paperwork had to show an adult in the cabin with the children and when we got to the ship, we could just switch rooms. Therefore we booked each cabin with one adult & one child. Now I'm wondering how this will work with the sail & sign card, if it is also our door key. Any suggestions? Thanks

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=00bfff&cdt=2004;8;28;16;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

Days till Holiday

Navy wife - Not to worry. On my last cruise in September on the Holiday, the cabin 'key' is a ving card, completely separate from the S&S card. icon_smile.gif

Festivale 1987

Carnivale 1988

Mardi Gras 1989

Pacific Princess 1990

Norway 1994

Holiday 2001

Holiday 2002

Holiday 2003

HOSKI and serene56 - yes, they absolutely do have to book someone 25 or over in those cabins! They're taking ten 18-year olds, most of which are not their "kids". You can book separate cabins for minors only if they're booked with one or more parent. If a minor is cruising without a parent, then he/she must be booked with into the same cabin with someone 25 or older. Carnival and Royal Caribbean have had this rule for years, and it has not changed.

[This message was edited by imsulin on 05-19-04 at 07:22 PM.]

The pursers desk can give you extra room keys- they punch a hole in them so you can keep them straight. Worked great on our recent Victory cruise! Also, each keyholder has a separate folio number to keep track of expenses.

Have a great time!

Laura

Ouch imsulim, could you get any nastier? The problem I see with this is that you are allowed to take non-related children with their parents permission so although part of your answer is correct part is also incorrect because you can book a child into a room without the parent even being on the ship as long as they are part of your booking.

p.s. the rule does not apply if you are married. A honeymoon couple who are both under 25 can sail together in one cabin without an "adult" on both RCCL and Carnival.

Norway 2002 Legend 2002

As a point of information, on the Imagination the room key and the sail & sign card are still separate items. I know they're not going on this ship, just for future reference.

JV The 4 stages of cruising: planning, anticipation, experience and reflection.

You have all been so great! I've contacted my TA to help sort out this mess. Has anyone been on the Elation recently and gotten extra room keys? This would solve our problem, as each "kid" has their own credit card number for their expenses...my main concern was the correct people being able to get in their rooms. If the S&S card was the only option for door key, we'd be in trouble, but if the purser's desk has extra room keys I don't think we have a problem. Thanks y'all!

You can get extra cabin keys from the pursers desk.

Also- if the kids are buying soda cards tell them to keep the receipt in case they lose the card.

Another thought maybe lanyards so they can keep all their cards together.

To you--I wish you luck.

Going NOWHERE

Legend, October 22,2004

Voyager August 31,2003

Regal Empress,June 2001

Sensation,August 2000

I just spoke with a Carnival TA and she said that when we check in at the pier, we should just tell the person checking us in that we want our S&S card re-keyed for a different room. She said they do this all the time and it should be no problem. Hope this information will help someone else! Thanks for all your input.

I'm so glad I read this post as we have booked kids with an adult on our Elation cruise. Our online TA also refuses to let the kids be in a separate room--but the additional key or correction at embarkation seems like a great answer--rather than the inevitable tracking each other down!

NCL Sea - 10/00

CCL Inspiration - 11/01

12/19/04 Elation cruise

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=228b22&cdt=2004;12;19;16;00;00&timezone=GMT-0600

I am taking two 18 year olds and I booked directly with Carnival. They said that if the kids had been mine, I could have put them in another room, but since one is only my niece and one is her friend, I had to have an adult in each room. So I rounded up a friend to go, and we put one adult in each room. I figure I will sort it out when I get there. I will try the "rekeying the S & S card for another room"; if that doesn't work, I'll head for the purser.

HOSKI - I really didn't think I was being nasty, and wasn't trying to be. I was just trying to give the correct information, so that the OP would know what to expect.

"part is also incorrect because you can book a child into a room without the parent even being on the ship as long as they are part of your booking."

Actually, your answer is incorrect. Carnival isn't going to book anyone's 18-year old kids who are cruising without a parent into a cabin by themselves. They will have to have at least one 25 (or older) year old booked into their cabin, under the same booking number.. The OP has already stated that they have four cabins, with a 25-year old in each. It's not the on-line TA that will refuse to book kids into separate cabins without a 25 year old - it's Carnival's policy.

I didn't bring up the married couple thing, because the OP is bringing along 10 18-year olds, and never said that any of them were married, and it's really not relevant to this particular thread.

keep in mind that this board is for OPINIONS and Carnival will make the final decision like rekeying those key cards at port. Wow, does that mean that they know the 18 year olds are in a different cabin? I'm out of this post and will not return because recently registered people have all the answers and I am not getting into a p$*ing contest with posters. Not my style.

Norway 2002 Legend 2002

Archived