Solo Evenings on Solstice in Alaska

ScottC4746

I my early September cruise approaches I am starting to get realization of what evenings will be like for me.

DH who is normally up at 3:15 AM to get ready to leave for work at 4 AM and home at 3 PM often falls asleep by 7:30 PM.  He cannot differentiate work time and vacation time as he has had this schedule for 27 years.  This leaves me on my own in the evenings while he is back in the room sawing logs, bless his heart as we say in the south.

Am I going to be the only one "painting the town red" in this situation?  I see cruise evenings as doing what you normally don't do at home: latish dinner, shows, nights on the town, etc.  I just don't want people gawking at me (social anxiety here) sitting in a corner of a lounge sipping on my adult beverage alone.

6 minutes ago, ScottC4746 said:

I just don't want people gawking at me (social anxiety here) sitting in a corner of a lounge sipping on my adult beverage alone.

Befriend someone(s) in the evenings. I see from your signature line that you have quite a few cruises under your belt.  Don't be timid.  Unless seriously COVID averse, sit with other folks and have a chat.  I've met all kinds of interesting people aboard our many cruises that way.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, canderson said:

Befriend someone(s) in the evenings. I see from your signature line that you have quite a few cruises under your belt.  Don't be timid.  Unless seriously COVID averse, sit with other folks and have a chat.  I've met all kinds of interesting people aboard our many cruises that way.

Well I do plan to attend the 6 PM nightly LGBT Meet and Greet.  That is a start I suppose.  That runs until 7 PM so aiming for 715 dinner and assume they will have us out by 8:15. By that point DH will be ready to turn in.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, ScottC4746 said:

Well I do plan to attend the 6 PM nightly LGBT Meet and Greet.  That is a start I suppose.  That runs until 7 PM so aiming for 715 dinner and assume they will have us out by 8:15. By that point DH will be ready to turn in.

Perfect.  You've already got a group with something in common, and some of you can agree to hit the theater or one of the bars after dinner as a group.  It works out especially well if you make friends early on in the cruise as such groups often form then.

When we don't sail with family, friends or others we've sailed with before, my wife and I often find ourselves doing this.  Back before we started booking suites, we'd request an 8 top for dinner, and it was easier since there was often at least one couple at the table that made for interesting company.  We'd carry on the conversation after dinner, etc.  We manage that in Luminae as well, though as their current standard there are 2 tops, this more often than not happens in Michael's/Retreat Lounge.

Just now, canderson said:

Perfect.  You've already got a group with something in common, and some of you can agree to hit the theater or one of the bars after dinner as a group.  It works out especially well if you make friends early on in the cruise as such groups often form then.

When we don't sail with family, friends or others we've sailed with before, my wife and I often find ourselves doing this.  Back before we started booking suites, we'd request an 8 top for dinner, and it was easier since there was often at least one couple at the table that made for interesting company.  We'd carry on the conversation after dinner, etc.  We manage that in Luminae as well, though as their current standard there are 2 tops, this more often than not happens in Michael's/Retreat Lounge.

Although we did make a faux pax years ago.  We were on Princess and attended a Friends of Dorothy meeting with our drinks, then we started to go out of curiosity the same way to a Friends of Bill W. Meeting.  Thank goodness we asked at GS what that group was before we really screwed up.  We never heard of Bill W.

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, ScottC4746 said:

Although we did make a faux pax years ago.  We were on Princess and attended a Friends of Dorothy meeting with our drinks, then we started to go out of curiosity the same way to a Friends of Bill W. Meeting.  Thank goodness we asked at GS what that group was before we really screwed up.  We never heard of Bill W.

Don't feel bad.  When we first encountered them in a shipboard 'daily' we thought that Friends of Bill and Friends of Dorothy were similar but gender specific meetings!

1 minute ago, canderson said:

Don't feel bad.  When we first encountered them in a shipboard 'daily' we thought that Friends of Bill and Friends of Dorothy were similar but gender specific meetings!

As did we.

I spent 34 nights on Silhouette and Millennium solo last winter. I think your plan is good to make friends for the night. The LGBT happy hours unfortunately are not hosted and, at least on Millennium, seemed to drop off after only one or two days. On a 10 night cruise that was a bit disappointing - the assumption is that folks meet each other and the need is satisfied, but the beginning of a cruise can be pretty busy. I made great friends on every cruise from all backgrounds - the general solo happy hour often overlapped - and there were many late nights. There are plenty of venues so if you're not feeling one, you can hop to to the next. 

Let us know how it goes - I will be solo on Solstice for the Mexican Riviera B2B in October. 

6 hours ago, ScottC4746 said:

I my early September cruise approaches I am starting to get realization of what evenings will be like for me.

DH who is normally up at 3:15 AM to get ready to leave for work at 4 AM and home at 3 PM often falls asleep by 7:30 PM.  He cannot differentiate work time and vacation time as he has had this schedule for 27 years.  This leaves me on my own in the evenings while he is back in the room sawing logs, bless his heart as we say in the south.

Am I going to be the only one "painting the town red" in this situation?  I see cruise evenings as doing what you normally don't do at home: latish dinner, shows, nights on the town, etc.  I just don't want people gawking at me (social anxiety here) sitting in a corner of a lounge sipping on my adult beverage alone.

Find the gays on the ship the first night (or any night) at the Martini Bar around 7-7:30. Tell them about sleepy husband and you are a bachelorette for the evenings. You’ll be adopted. 

• Haha 2

6 hours ago, ScottC4746 said:

DH who is normally up at 3:15 AM to get ready to leave for work at 4 AM

Meant to ask, if it's OK, but what the heck is he doing up at 3:15?

My policy is that if you're getting up so early that you have to turn on a light to be sure you have a matched pair of socks, you're getting up too early!

6 hours ago, canderson said:

Meant to ask, if it's OK, but what the heck is he doing up at 3:15?

My policy is that if you're getting up so early that you have to turn on a light to be sure you have a matched pair of socks, you're getting up too early!

Works for an airline.  Fortunately, he presets everything in the living room the night before.

15 hours ago, ScottC4746 said:

Great plan!  Whether I travel solo or with my hubby, always attend several of the LGBTQ+ meet and greets, it’s a great way to meet some very nice people traveling solo or as a couple.  I hope you have a great cruise!! 

• Thanks 1

I almost always travel solo. I can choose to eat alone or eat with other people. I go to the shows by myself. I can hang out by myself in the corner of a lounge, or with other folks at the bar. Cruisers are a pretty friendly type. I always have a book with me in case there aren't other folks to readily chat with. I don't think anyone else really pays attention.