ESSENTIALSTRAVEL PROTECTION VS PRIVATE

victory2020

Hello, I am looking at insurance for my trip - the NCL essentials is on $45 & private is $139. The difference I see is that private would cover illness/injury before the cruise (& death of a loved one?) opposed to the NCL that only covers problems during the trip. Is this correct as you all see it?

28 minutes ago, victory2020 said:

Hello, I am looking at insurance for my trip - the NCL essentials is on $45 & private is $139. The difference I see is that private would cover illness/injury before the cruise (& death of a loved one?) opposed to the NCL that only covers problems during the trip. Is this correct as you all see it?

You would have to provide us with more details on which private plan, but it sounds about right.  I have an upcoming ten day and bought a Nationwide policy for $129 (for both of us, so ~$65 per person vs. $45 for essentials).  It adds cancellation for medical (including non-traveling family) as well as some trip interruption and a few other things.  The pre-existing look back is only 60 days, so pretty easy to check that box.  It also has MUCH higher policy limits for med-evac and emergency medical coverage.  I paid extra because I wanted the coverage in case myself or someone in my family had medical issues that caused us to need to cancel the cruise.  I've found that it is really easy to find better coverage for $45 than the NCL essentials.

Edited by ChiefMateJRK

Just now, victory2020 said:

Screenshot_20220713-112645_Email.jpg

I'm looking at the $129 option if you can see it. I'm thinking it's not a bad idea in case someone gets sick or I get sick before I leave to have this for the small difference in price. I believe the limits are a little higher on the private insurance.. It's for a trip overseas by myself

I understand private insurance is always better in case of supplier default, which is looking more and more likely.  If you dont think that will happen, just check out the crystal board.  Don’t be penny wise and dollar foolish….

1 hour ago, victory2020 said:

I'm looking at the $129 option if you can see it. I'm thinking it's not a bad idea in case someone gets sick or I get sick before I leave to have this for the small difference in price. I believe the limits are a little higher on the private insurance.. It's for a trip overseas by myself

That doesn't look too bad, but you could probably save some money by buying one with less medical and med-evac.  There's no right answer, since none of us can predict the future.