Cruise insurance for 75 + ?

29 minutes ago, resordanis said:

I am also very interested in this topic as one of us is over 75. I am about to start paying for my cruises so would like  to take out an annual policy.  I did look at NIB some weeks ago, but I just can’t see at the moment when I look at their policy cruise cover, I might be looking at the wrong page.

I am also considering Travel Insurance Savers who use NIB.

Credit card insurance isn’t an option for us as Westpac (Allianz) don’t have an pandemic cover.

Covermore are over $1000 more expensive that Travel Insurance Savers and I haven’t even got to the pre existing conditions.

Anyone else we should consider?

Any assistance is appreciated.

NIB states that all their international policies cover cruising.  Their 2 multi trip annual policies are both  International for "Worldwide with USA or Nepal" and "Worldwide without these two countries".  

I checked twice on the phone that cruising was covered and it is.  When you are filling in the application details  you come to a drop down box question to pick your mode of transport for most of your trips and cruising is listed.  There is no change in the premium for this.

from their website.

FAQs about International Travel Insurance

Will I be covered for cruising?
Good news, cover for cruising is automatically included in our international policies. If you get sick aboard a cruise, we can offer overseas medical cover on board, including if you contract Coronavirus during the trip. Make sure you’re following all relevant government and official advice.

All policy terms, limits and exclusions apply, and you should be aware there are things we don’t cover, such as your cruise being cancelled by the provider due to an epidemic or pandemic.

8 minutes ago, Ondine said:

we can offer overseas medical cover on board, including if you contract Coronavirus during the trip

That looks like the same exclusion as the 1Cover policy. That is, it only covers you for Covid once you are on the ship. If you get Covid a week or two before travel, you may not be covered if you have to cancel. It also sounds like it might not cover the costs of being evacuated from the ship? Some policies will cover you for Covid right from when you pay for the policy, not just the first day of travel, and their premiums are of course higher. You need to search the whole PDS, as the restrictions are often very hidden.

Edited by cruiser3775

8 minutes ago, cruiser3775 said:

That looks like the same exclusion as the 1Cover policy. That is, it only covers you for Covid once you are on the ship. If you get Covid a week or two before travel, you may not be covered if you have to cancel. It also sounds like it might not cover the costs of being evacuated from the ship? Some policies will cover you for Covid right from when you pay for the policy, not just the first day of travel, and their premiums are of course higher. You need to search the whole PDS, as the restrictions are often very hidden.

If you get Covid prior to boarding and have to cancel there is compensation (depending what you get back from any providers) provided you did not know you were positive at the time of purchasing the policy.  This is for comprehensive policies of which the annual policy is one. You also get to select the value of your cruise/holiday (select your dearest) in the premium. 

I phoned twice to see if medivacs were part of the policy and was assured they are.

Their Covid policy looked ok to me but I am no expert.

52 minutes ago, Ondine said:

NIB states that all their international policies cover cruising.  Their 2 multi trip annual policies are both  International for "Worldwide with USA or Nepal" and "Worldwide without these two countries".  

I checked twice on the phone that cruising was covered and it is.  When you are filling in the application details  you come to a drop down box question to pick your mode of transport for most of your trips and cruising is listed.  There is no change in the premium for this.

from their website.

FAQs about International Travel Insurance

Will I be covered for cruising?
Good news, cover for cruising is automatically included in our international policies. If you get sick aboard a cruise, we can offer overseas medical cover on board, including if you contract Coronavirus during the trip. Make sure you’re following all relevant government and official advice.

All policy terms, limits and exclusions apply, and you should be aware there are things we don’t cover, such as your cruise being cancelled by the provider due to an epidemic or pandemic.

Thanks for the information, I have just done a quote and will either go with Travel Insurance Savers or NIB. Both are really NIB policies 😁 Price seems good for a year too.

• Like 1