Your very first time

Sky Sweet

I was 17 when I sailed from Vancouver, BC to Skagway Alaska in 1951 on an old Canadian Pacific passenger ship. My father warned me that it was highly unlikely there would be other passengers my age.

As it turned out, there were several, all of them lovely girls, including one who later was crowned Rose Bowl queen and another who modeled for Seventeen Magazine. I was the only lad my age, so I was enamored of all the pretty girls. I recall that it was a ``dry'' ship, but passengers were allowed to have and consume booze in their staterooms. The next two ``cruises'' were in the early 50s on military transport ships to and from Korea. I liked the Canadian Pacific ship much better.

First cruise: 1984, RCC, Sun Viking-out of Florida to Caribbean-10 days. That was so, so, so much fun. Our room was a triangle with beds on each side of the room and a true porthole for a window. The shower curtain became part of your body! Ugh! I didn't care! Awe! To cruise my life away! I think the food and service really was my favorite!:D

Roz

Archived