suggestions for busy port day?

AwesomO

My family and I will be going on a cruise with NCL in February 2023. We have St. Thomas as a port of call, but the timing is a little off as it's noon-7pm. Unfortunately, there are scheduled to be 5 ships in port that day according to the port schedule and most of those ships will be there before we arrive. I imagine this means many places will be quite crowded. Would you recommend a ship excursion? Private excursion? Just a taxi to a beach? For reference, we have 2 children, ages 5 and 8. We've only been to St. Thomas once and we went to Coral World and Coki beach and loved it there, but I can't imagine it being too pleasant being so small with so many ships in port. 

Yes it is not a great situation for you unfortunately…
One way to avoid the popular beaches is a daysail. Perhaps the Champagne Cat Sail to STJ offered through the ship? Or another ship-sponsored activity that does not just take you to a beach or other crowded area. There are independent daysails listed on the VINow site if you are comfortable with a self-excursion?

But yes, we would avoid Magens Bay, Coki, Sapphire, and Secret Harbor. Lindbergh Bay (aka Emerald Beach) May e an option, depending on the number of cruise passengers in Crown Bay. I would definitely avoid Honeymoon Beach on Water Island.

Going to STJ on your own is probably not worth the added time it takes either, as Trunk and Cinnamon Bays are also popular…Even Maho is getting crowded now, what a shame…😞

But check to see if the Champagne Cat is an option or something similar? That is a very nice day! 😉

• Thanks 1

Thanks! I'll look into the champagne cat or something similar! I imagine the Skyride might also be busy? Or is there a reservation system that keeps the time waiting in line down?

Edited by AwesomO

It’s always been first come, first in…That could be another queue but you may want to try it, especially if you have time before or after an excursion.

Years ago when I surprised my wife with a vow renewal at the gazebo at Paradise Point we taxied up to PP to avoid the line and bought one-way passes back, but I don’t want to suggest that as they may now charge full price…unless you can contact them?

Your ship excursions desk may also be selling refundable tram passes at a slight discount.  So you could avoid the ticket line, and if you decided not to go you would not be out the $$…

Edited by blue_water
Typo
  • Thanks 1