Heathrow Layover Advice

Rainbow3fe

6 minutes ago, Pudgesmom said:

We were in Heathrow last week, and had hoped to make a connection but our inbound flight was late, and we did not. People with over 3 hours were not making some connections. 

The airport was a complete disaster. We spent 3 1/2 hours standing in line to rebook. (Finally did it on an AA live chat while waiting in the rebooking line.) BA was not even answering calls or live chat, or all call were disconnecting despite staff’s suggestions that we call. And we did try to call, along with everyone else in line. 

The best we could get was a two days later departure, due to the decrease in capacity (about 10%) imposed right now at the airport.

Then it was another 2 1/2 hours to collect luggage and head for a hotel near the airport. 

It sounds like you’ve already decided not to leave, and I think that’s the right decision. 

They are so short staffed, it could be much more than a couple hours to make a connection, especially if you are changing terminals or have to collect and rebook luggage. 

Wow. Sorry you had an awful experience. Thanks for the heads up.  Yes, we decided to remain in the airport. I'm sure we'll find something to occupy our time.

On 7/20/2022 at 10:09 AM, Rainbow3fe said:

Is it advisable to go into London for about 4 hours?

We have a layover at Heathrow from 9AM to 4PM on our way to Capetown for our upcoming Oceania cruise. Not sure if staying in an airport lounge for 7 hours is pleasant but the anxiety of getting back into the Terminal and going thru security may not be worth it.

Would like your feedback. 

Thanks 

If you mean you land at Heathrow  at 9:00 AM and are on a 4:00 PM flight out, you will (if you are lucky) be able to head into London by 10:00 AM (AT THE VERY EARLIEST),  and you will want to back at Heathrow by 1:30 PM (AT THE VERY LATEST).  Because you should allow about an hour each way to get to and from any place in London which might be of interest, you are talking about an hour and a half actually seeing/doing anything of interest.

Do not kid yourself about having four hours --- and even if you did, I do not think it would be worth the hassle/stress.

• Thanks 1

47 minutes ago, navybankerteacher said:

If you mean you land at Heathrow  at 9:00 AM and are on a 4:00 PM flight out, you will (if you are lucky) be able to head into London by 10:00 AM (AT THE VERY EARLIEST),  and you will want to back at Heathrow by 1:30 PM (AT THE VERY LATEST).  Because you should allow about an hour each way to get to and from any place in London which might be of interest, you are talking about an hour and a half actually seeing/doing anything of interest.

Do not kid yourself about having four hours --- and even if you did, I do not think it would be worth the hassle/stress.

Thanks.  I read many insightful opinions and we are staying in the airport.  Pre-Covid I never would have thought twice aboutleavingthe airport. Different circumstances these days. 

Regards,

Felice