Using a walker/rollator in Norway snow or ice?

kbert92069

We are scheduled for Viking Ocean "In Search of the Northern Lights" cruise in February.  I don't know yet for sure but we may be likely to encounter snow and or ice in the Norway ports.  We have no experience using a rollator in either. What is the likelihood of success with access for someone who uses a walker/rollator for stability?  Any possibility in the snow?  I have no idea. Does anyone have experience with this they'd be willing to share?

My DW is perfectly content to stay aboard to see the sights from the ship but I'd like to know what thoughts experienced people have about the possibility of going ashore.

Karl

I would not use your walker on snow at all. On ice, on the flat , it might be ok. On hills very dangerous. I tend to avoid going out in the ice and snow now but when I did I used yaktrax , these are grip things you put on your boots, and I use more suitable sticks, ( Flexyfoot but there are many others) year  round now. I’m in Edinburgh and there’s less snow and ice nowadays but the cobbles are still slippy in the rain.  Beware hills. 
https://www.yaktrax.co.uk

https://flexyfoot.com

Possibly in Norway they have better pavements than Scotland. Posting in the Northern European ports of call would be a good idea. 

• Like 1

Ice and rollators are not a happy combination, unfortunately. They simply don’t offer much in the way of traction, especially on solid ice. If the ice is crunchy, they work a little better. Walking sticks with ice bases may be more helpful.

• Like 1