Delta pilots strike? Anyone heard this also?

My BIL is a pilot for Delta. There is an excellent possibility for either a strike or a lockout. The Pilots are tired of having to work twice as much for half the pay and benefits while those exec's in the ivory palace keep making more money.

He told me I made a good decision when I booked my flights on Airtran.

Does that tell you something?:(

Hope you've got insurance!:eek:

Aubie

Cruzinmom05,

I am leaving on Explorer on 3/26 and had the same worries. However, I heard we should be ok until mid April. If they do strike March 1st. Nothing should effect the flights until mid April. I really doubt they will let that happen.

Aubiecruiser. Even after the concessions over a year ago and Delta being forced to file Chap 11 bankruptcy, the Delta pilots are still the second highest paid in the airline industry. Delta is currently over 28 BILLION in debt and facing a liquidity problem of huge proportions. In 2001 the Delta pilots told the airline either you give us the highest pay of the industry or we strike. Delta will soon become a far different, and smaller, business over the next 12 to 18 months. And selling Comair will only give them some operating cash, not a cure. I do think you will be happy with the new planes of AirTran, my line of choice.

HDawson, Delta also sold off ASA (Atlantic Southeast) and are also selling off gates, ASA was their cash cow and making money. I agree that if they are to survive as a company they will have to become much leaner. Many of their pilots now are making less than those flying for UPS and FedEX, not a good priority IMO. This will be my first time on Airtran but have always liked American in the past flying down to Miami and never have been a big fan of the Delta cattle cars.

Aubie

I personally say do not worry about Delta or Northwest striking. I all depends on 2 things.

1. If a judge throws out their legal contract.

2. If # 1 happens, and the company trys to force pay cuts.

Just remember, we are our own worst enemies.

Next time you want to fly from Mobile, Alabama to Ancorage, Alaska and are mad because you had to pay $140 for a round trip ticket, you are the problem!

Just remember, we are our own worst enemies.

Next time you want to fly from Mobile, Alabama to Ancorage, Alaska and are mad because you had to pay $140 for a round trip ticket, you are the problem!

Odd, I thought it was the airlines that were their own worst enemies, not the consumer. When airlines like SWA can turn a profit on fares lower than the legacy carriers, I'd say it was the business model of the hub and spoke delivery system and a cost basis far to high that was the problem. NOT the passengers.

If the Delta pilots strike, then they'll go from being paid less than FeEx and UPS pilots to being paid less than most bathroom attendents at your finer hotels. Personally, that doesn't sound like such a great idea to me. But, I suppose management will be in the same boat and that will make them all feel better as they collect those unemployment checks.

Nothing like cutting off ones nose to spite their face.

Either way, it is important for people to check their flights, especially to Florida, because Delta is cancelling flights. Our flights have been cancelled twice and finally after the third flight put us leaving during our wedding reception, we asked and were given a refund. We rebooked with American.

Can't figure out how Delta is so far in debt, checked them for our flights last week and they wanted $1085 per person, roundtrip, coach class to fly from Cinti to Ft Lauderdale. Checked Airtran and payed $208 per person, roundtrip to fly from Indianapolis to Ft Lauderdale. While driving to Indy I just kept saying "I saved over $1600, I can go on another cruise". It's Airtran for me from now on, Delta can keep there Skymiles that can never be used and they unfair rates to the people in Cincinnati because they have a hub here!

We're booked on Song for April 17th. Hope things are settled by then and the planes are flying. If they do strike, am I able to get a full refund?

Probably not. Ticket holders are one of the last in line after liquidation. You can try disputing the charge with your CC company but, many have limitations if you purchase a ticket with an airline already in bankruptcy. Since Delta's been in bankruptcy for quite a while now, my bet is they were in bankruptcy when you bought the ticket.

On the other hand, congress extended a law that required other carriers to offer available seats on their flights to Delta ticket holders on a standby basis. I believe the is a charge in the neighborhood of $50 per ticket. It could be $100 per ticket, I'm really not 100% sure. All I'm sure of is that there is a charge and the seats are on a space available basis.

After our December flight on Delta, I don't plan on booking with them or NWA until things are settled. I'd rather pay a couple of dollars more and not have the stress than to save a few bucks and worry.

I agree with Doug, I have been staying away from NWA since the Mechanics were talking about striking last summer (Which they eventually did in August), and with the airline continuing to go down hill, I am happy with my decision to fly American and Continental for pleasure and business!

It is too bad though, NWA makes up 85percent of the flights leaving from MSP, if they go under, I think our costs will go way up due to supply and demand!

Odd, I thought it was the airlines that were their own worst enemies, not the consumer. When airlines like SWA can turn a profit on fares lower than the legacy carriers, I'd say it was the business model of the hub and spoke delivery system and a cost basis far to high that was the problem. NOT the passengers.

Actually most airlines currently are NOT profitable.

Jetblue, "It was a surprisingly large, $42 million loss in the October-December period, the result of high fuel prices, low fares and a slow upward creep in the operating costs of the 6-year-old carrier. The fourth-quarter loss pushed the discounter $20.3 million into the red for all of 2005. The company expects to lose more money in 2006. "

Airtran, "ORLANDO, Fla., Jan. 24 /PRNewswire-FirstCall/ -- AirTran Holdings, Inc., (NYSE: AAI), the parent company of AirTran Airways, Inc., today reported net income of $2.7 million for the full year 2005 or $0.03 per diluted share. For the fourth quarter, AirTran reported a net loss of $0.4 million or essentially break-even performance on an earnings per share basis"

As for Southwest, they are making a profit, mainly due to fuel hedging. In a few years it will run out, and they could be in the same boat.

In spite of high fuel costs, AirTran and JetBlue are expanding service and adding alot of new planes. (100+ ea) They fly the youngest fleets of all the domestic airlines. AirTran all Boeing, JetBlue all Airbus. As for service, JetBlue, AirTran and Southwest ranked #1, 2 and 3 for the last reporting period, 2004. AirTran was ranked as best at baggage handling by the US DOT. The Low Cost Carriers will continue to take more market share for the foreseeable future. Not good for the legacy airlines.

Actually, for a while they can.

They can use the Railway Labor Act.

In my own words, you can't strike if it will severly affect the American economy.

I don't believe the loss of Delta will impact the economy that much. There are still to many other airlines to fill that void. This is not like the air trafic controler going out on strike, which would affect all air travel. This is just another airline.

Keep in mind I'm not saying it will have no affect at all on the economy, just not enough to warrent federal intervention.

Actually most airlines currently are NOT profitable.

Jetblue, "It was a surprisingly large, $42 million loss in the October-December period, the result of high fuel prices, low fares and a slow upward creep in the operating costs of the 6-year-old carrier. The fourth-quarter loss pushed the discounter $20.3 million into the red for all of 2005. The company expects to lose more money in 2006. "

Airtran, "ORLANDO, Fla., Jan. 24 /PRNewswire-FirstCall/ -- AirTran Holdings, Inc., (NYSE: AAI), the parent company of AirTran Airways, Inc., today reported net income of $2.7 million for the full year 2005 or $0.03 per diluted share. For the fourth quarter, AirTran reported a net loss of $0.4 million or essentially break-even performance on an earnings per share basis"

As for Southwest, they are making a profit, mainly due to fuel hedging. In a few years it will run out, and they could be in the same boat.

Of these three, only Jetblue lost money. Airtran had a year ending net income of $2.7 million dollars.

However, all is not rosey amongst the no frills carriers. Vanguard Airlines went belly up shortly after 9/11. ATA has been merged into SWA's I believe. Independance Air has been liquidated. So there's plenty of missery to go around.

When you get right down to it, the airline system as we know it really doesn't work. I still do not believe that it's broken because of the consumer. If you believe that, then we need to be traveling by horse and buggy. I'm sure the consumers preference for automobile put many horse barns, buggy shops and horse buggy whip makers out of business.

HDawson, Delta also sold off ASA (Atlantic Southeast) and are also selling off gates, ASA was their cash cow and making money. I agree that if they are to survive as a company they will have to become much leaner. Many of their pilots now are making less than those flying for UPS and FedEX, not a good priority IMO. This will be my first time on Airtran but have always liked American in the past flying down to Miami and never have been a big fan of the Delta cattle cars.

Aubie

Delta NEVER owned ASA - ASA ending up as Independence Air when it left as a United Express carrier and they folded up on Jan 5.

Note: If the Delta pilots do strike - then Delta is history . . . they'll just liquidate or contract so far that they might as well go bellyup.

I NEVer understand union demands like this - the company is not making any money, and has been losing for years. Is it better to get a big raise and not have a job or take less money and have a job?

Personally, Delta's problems do not come from labor - bad management is bad decisions leads to losing money. That being said, when the senior guys making all the money lose their jobs, they just end up making just as much or more someplace else - no big deal to them. So, its ALWAYS the employee who gets the short end - and if the pilots strike then they arjust pioking themselves with it. . . .

There is a 45 day window before they are likely to be allowed to strike, so trips at the end of March are probalby ok.

There are a lot more threatened strikes than actual strikes in the airline industry. Delta pilots know that a bankruptcy court judge is likely to do to them what United's bankruptcy court judge did to the United Pilots. The leverage just isn't there.

Sickouts and work-to-rules are likely to be a bigger impact in the next 60 days IMO.

Agree with the suggestion that you keep a close eye on your flights. Check in early, and know your alternative flights if the original ones cancel for any reason.

And hope for good luck.

Archived