Splendour - how did you pick your cabin?

I am in the planning process and waiting for the Med. cruises out of Venice to go on sale for 2007 and I am just wondering what cabin to pick? I want to be ready to fire when they go on sale - I assume the balcony cabins are grabbed right away - maybe in the aft ones first??

What was your criteria for choosing your cabin (noise, location, balcony/inside, price, etc?)

I keep waivering if we should spend the $$$ for a balcony on such a port intensive cruise or just suck it up and use the extra $$'s for the ports.

Thanks

You are talking about one of my dreams! I always thought that if I did this Splendour cruise that I would want a balcony cabin. However, we just did a Splendour four day cruise that we booked at the last minute when we saw a "hot" deal. We had an oceanview on the third floor and we pleasantly surprised by the cabin. The window was large, the cabin well laid out and the loveseat comfortable. Perhaps, the only drawback was the lack of closet space. It was fine for four days, but I'd probably overpack if I ever got to cruise over there. (Guess the airline weight limits might hold me back a bit.) Our last prior oceanview was on the Carnival Elation and even though the cabin size was actually larger on the Elation, we liked the ov on the Splendour ever so much more. It did make us think that maybe we would go that route if we ever got to go to Europe. The savings would make a big dent in the expensive shore excursions. Now, even though we would not hesitate to book an ov on the Splendour again, we did have a chance to book an aft balcony cabin for next January and we jumped at the opportunity!

Hope this helps a little.

As far as motion-- the more midship, and the lower, the better if you are prone to motion sickness.

As far as noise--look at what is above and below your room (on the deck plans), and avoid being under the pool area, anchor areas, rooms very near the elevators or other public areas.

Personally, if having an interior meant I could do more onshore in the Mediteranean, I would go for the interior. If not, your call!!

Also look at where your room is in relationship to public areas you will be visiting frequently (pool, windjammer, bars, etc) and if you want quick access. Splendour most public areas are between deck 5 and 9, so 7 would be awesome, especially if you want to use the stairs and not wait on elevators. We like a room fairly near stairs cause we use them mostly. Personally, I would go for a midship deck 7 room on Splendour if available and it suits the type of cabin you want!

Have fun!!

We were on Splendour for the western Med. cruise last July and booked and outside cabin on deck 2. It was fine and since we were in the back of the ship near the stairs, getting to other places was easy. It was VERY quiet and there was no vibration. Our sons had an inside cabin across the hall. I'm sure our rooms were about the same size, but theirs looked SSOOOO much smaller.

We are taking the Venice cruise this July on the same ship and have booked a balcony cabin in celebration of our 25 wedding anniversary. It's our first balcony experience. I'll keep you posted on how it goes.

Archived