Has anyone done the Last Supper tour from Genoa?

trinitygirl

Hi, I am comparing three different (but the same) tours Princess is advertising:  GOA150, GOA 160 and  GOA 165.  I have had a look at the Port of Calls page but the information there doesn't really address my question because its not Princess-specific.  These three tours all visit Milan and the Last Supper and appear to be 9 hours long (although the GOA 165 excursion details add up to 10 hours) and are listed as moderate activity.  GOA 160 includes a visit to the Cathedral which I am not that interested in, as I spent 10 days in Milan in 2010, and the only reason I want to go back is to see the Last Supper which was closed when I was there.    GOA  165 says in the excursion details that there are 45 minutes at the chapel but I don't trust this because my understanding is that ticket bookings are for 30 minutes, and see above re the hours not adding up), where the other 2 tours say 30 minutes.  GOA 165 says in the excursion details that there is a 2.15 hour city tour followed by 3 hours of free time, but there is no mention in the description of what is involved in the city tour. 

So, my questions are:  has anyone been on any of these tours and if so, can you report back?  Also, do you think there will be any issues, given the free time provided on these tours, if I just skip the city tour and do my own thing until we meet back at the bus for the return journey?

many thanks for any advice,

Emma

I answered this a few months ago on another thread. 
I have toured the Last Supper, on my own.

My suggestion is to take the tour that goes to the chapel first ( although order can change).

you will line up-10 minutes, go into chapel in small groups-15 minutes, gift shop/ garden, wait for bus to fill up to go to Milan.

I would use the time in Milan on my own- make sure you can be in contact with tour guide if changes are needed.

Edited by dog
  • Like 1

• 10 months later...
On 8/13/2022 at 12:33 AM, trinitygirl said:

Hi, I am comparing three different (but the same) tours Princess is advertising:  GOA150, GOA 160 and  GOA 165.  I have had a look at the Port of Calls page but the information there doesn't really address my question because its not Princess-specific.  These three tours all visit Milan and the Last Supper and appear to be 9 hours long (although the GOA 165 excursion details add up to 10 hours) and are listed as moderate activity.  GOA 160 includes a visit to the Cathedral which I am not that interested in, as I spent 10 days in Milan in 2010, and the only reason I want to go back is to see the Last Supper which was closed when I was there.    GOA  165 says in the excursion details that there are 45 minutes at the chapel but I don't trust this because my understanding is that ticket bookings are for 30 minutes, and see above re the hours not adding up), where the other 2 tours say 30 minutes.  GOA 165 says in the excursion details that there is a 2.15 hour city tour followed by 3 hours of free time, but there is no mention in the description of what is involved in the city tour. 

So, my questions are:  has anyone been on any of these tours and if so, can you report back?  Also, do you think there will be any issues, given the free time provided on these tours, if I just skip the city tour and do my own thing until we meet back at the bus for the return journey?

many thanks for any advice,

Emma

Hello....did you pick one of these? if so which one? I'm also trying to pick one. Thanks. 

Just now, TW6cruiser said:

Hello....did you pick one of these? if so which one? I'm also trying to pick one. Thanks. 

In the end I decided to go to the Last Supper on my own while I am staying in Genoa.  I booked train tickets to Milan and back, and booked a ticket (which includes a 'tour' - a 30 minute talk about the painting) through the official website.  All up, this cost less than half the price of a cruise tour or a Viator tour including the Last Supper in Milan itself.  It also means I can spend the afternoon doing my own thing in Milan.  Now that I know how it all fits together and how to book these things online, I would have done this for the day the cruise stops in Genoa but  instead we are now going to the Cinque Terra instead.

• Like 1

Just now, trinitygirl said:

In the end I decided to go to the Last Supper on my own while I am staying in Genoa.  I booked train tickets to Milan and back, and booked a ticket (which includes a 'tour' - a 30 minute talk about the painting) through the official website.  All up, this cost less than half the price of a cruise tour or a Viator tour including the Last Supper in Milan itself.  It also means I can spend the afternoon doing my own thing in Milan.  Now that I know how it all fits together and how to book these things online, I would have done this for the day the cruise stops in Genoa but  instead we are now going to the Cinque Terra instead.

Hi, since we are doing this as just a day  excursion from Genoa, we want to book with the ship to be sure we get back in time (or actually that the ship waits for us).  We won't want to go on our own for a train ride on a port day.  But, thank!

Just now, TW6cruiser said:

Hi, since we are doing this as just a day  excursion from Genoa, we want to book with the ship to be sure we get back in time (or actually that the ship waits for us).  We won't want to go on our own for a train ride on a port day.  But, thank!

yes, that totally makes sense - good luck!  Getting to see the Last Supper is a bucket list item for me, so I am really excited about this trip. I hope it goes well for you too.