Dancing as an activity

On Brilliance during the Oct. 12-nt Med sailing, they offered several dance classes - line, swing, tango, salsa, menegue, jitterbug, waltz, rumba. Most of the classes were only 30 minutes at 8 PM and featured one dance type. The classes were just to give you an idea of the basic moves. About the time you were catching on, class was over. Line dancing was offered three times during the cruise but each time was a different dance.

I have a coworker who is taking the Med cruise next year so I was making copies of my leftover Cruise Compasses for her. That is the only reason I could find the dance information. We tried the tango class and one of the line dancing classes. They were doing the "Cotton-Eyed Joe" which is a favorite in Texas. The cruise staff was demonstrating it differently than we dance it here so we gave up because we kept reverting to "Texas style".

We took a Salsa class on the Mariner last fall and were dissapointed. We had put some time in before leaving with some Salsa DVD's (from Netflix) and thought that was time very well spent. On the ship the classes are short (half hour) you are usually being taught in a very public place (pool) and there is little individual instruction. They also have you working alone. As you can imagine there are more women than me (if men knew how much a woman appreciates a man who can dance...) so they never pair you up.

Not that it's a waste of time if you want to have fun, because they are very fun but there is something better about the DVD's and I hate learning from DVD's!

We took a Salsa class on the Mariner last fall and were dissapointed. We had put some time in before leaving with some Salsa DVD's (from Netflix) and thought that was time very well spent. On the ship the classes are short (half hour) you are usually being taught in a very public place (pool) and there is little individual instruction. They also have you working alone. As you can imagine there are more women than me (if men knew how much a woman appreciates a man who can dance...) so they never pair you up.

Not that it's a waste of time if you want to have fun, because they are very fun but there is something better about the DVD's and I hate learning from DVD's!

I never even thought of trying to get instructional dvd's from NetFlix, thanks for the great heads up! Just for the record, the dance studio that my wife and I go to has been going crazy since "Dancing With the Stars" became popular. Several of the group classes have had a two to one male to female ratio lately, maybe some of the guys are catching on.

Wraithe

Thank you ladies. Unfortunately I am a non dancer who had hoped to get some instruction so that I don't crush my wife's feet. Sounds like I was hoping for too much.:(

This is a no "whining" and no "foot crushing" zone ;) ! Go get thee some DVD's, a bottle of your favorite wine and some time! Screw your courage to the sticking place and do it! When you get on the ship you and your wife will dazzle. My darling husband is a Moose in a Tux when it comes to dancing but the DVD's really helped (and I just think he's so cute for trying he gets a really nice dinner when he pops a DVD in. The last time I made duck). :p

Archived