Music on board

April Jewel

38 minutes ago, April Jewel said:

We're not great fans of dance/electronic music and were wondering are there any venues on board that have either rock/indie/reggae/americana/blues music or acoustic artists. 

Thanks

The dance music is very generic. its not hard core, and most you will know the lyrics to. Think "dance pop" rather than Pete Tong. 

Other venues about the ship have pop up acts and performance spaces ranging from solo guitar in the Dock House to Blues and Latino Salsa in On the Rocks. The Manor has some more traditional acts such as The Hostess singing classics, and the Diva performing as well.  

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Lustate said:

Other venues about the ship have pop up acts and performance spaces ranging from solo guitar in the Dock House to Blues and Latino Salsa in On the Rocks.

Too bad, I missed that one and would have loved some blues and salsa as a change. Mostly I found the piped in pop music everywhere....with a capital E 😄

2 hours ago, April Jewel said:

Thanks for the reply - the blues and latino salsa are right up our street.  Hopefully we'll find something we enjoy listening to.

If you see Slam Allen on the agenda, he's the blues guy and usually plays in the On the Rocks lounge. Free Label was the house band for a while, but they've been popping up as a guest band here & there.  They play mostly funk covers, but they also throw in a few of their own songs. 

On all the voyages we've been on, the DJs play a bunch of latin music (usually with an EDM flare, of course haha) at the pool and The Manor.

Forgot to add - on the past few we've been on, they've had a solo artist (usually with a looper pedal) in the Roundabout a couple times throughout the voyage.  Super low-key!

Not sure what the deal is with Phantom Folktales right now - I heard their contract was cut short, but I also saw recent videos of them at the Bimini "bonfire."  They have random pop-up shows and do a few smaller shows on Scarlet Night too.

On 8/15/2022 at 6:13 AM, April Jewel said:

We're not great fans of dance/electronic music and were wondering are there any venues on board that have either rock/indie/reggae/americana/blues music or acoustic artists. 

Thanks

If Slam Allen is onboard he was a amazeballs in On The Rocks each evening. Incredible blues guitarist. We commented how good the piped in music was throughout the ship, it was a mix of modern, classic rock and folk throughout the day. The Scarlet Lady house band was impressive as they played many different styles of music at varying performances. The Diva drag show is a mix of classic disco and broadway. Untitled Dance Party thing is an eclectic mix of music. As others have mentioned, excellent guitarists were popping up in the Roundabout and out in The Dock on Deck 7 

Really the loudest "techno music" will be when the DJ is active. He tends to play a lot of dance music (obviously) and when he's up at the pool or spinning near vinyl, that's when you'll hear the most dance music. But as far as the ship being all 'techno music' it's not.

In the evenings, you'll most likely enjoy the On The Rocks venue based on what you described which is the small club with singers, guitarists and small bands. You may also enjoy Duel Reality show in The Red Room. There's also something going on most night in The Dock House and The Loose Cannon. 

We've now sailed 8 different cruise lines and I would put the vibe on Virgin akin to Celebrity. I've always found Celebrity to be that white glove service without the stuffy attitude. The food and service is akin to Disney which is not surprising as we found out that a fair number of the crew are from Disney, Seabourn and Celebrity. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for all your replies - interesting to hear the vibe is akin to Celebrity as that is one of our favourite cruise lines and also we enjoy Disney cruises.  So it sounds like Virgin Voyages are going to be right up our street.

• 11 months later...
1 hour ago, chillyw said:

I just booked my first cruise on Virgin... How's the electronic music doing?

what are you looking for?

on Resilient Lady last month it was mainly remixes of classic hits and chart stuff from the last 20 years. Nothing you’d actually call house/trance or similar. More Beyoncé and Britney etc. 

at the PJ party there is more cheesy hits such as Backstreet Boys and Spice Girls. 

also on Resilient there is an 80s party but the remixes the DJ picked weren’t great.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, jon81uk said:

what are you looking for?

on Resilient Lady last month it was mainly remixes of classic hits and chart stuff from the last 20 years. Nothing you’d actually call house/trance or similar. More Beyoncé and Britney etc. 

at the PJ party there is more cheesy hits such as Backstreet Boys and Spice Girls. 

also on Resilient there is an 80s party but the remixes the DJ picked weren’t great.

Dang! I saw some videos of Diplo and Major Lazer playing, and some people complaining they hated "the EDM", and was hoping they were continuing to play it 😂

30 minutes ago, chillyw said:

Dang! I saw some videos of Diplo and Major Lazer playing, and some people complaining they hated "the EDM", and was hoping they were continuing to play it 😂

It varies a lot depending on which ship, which DJ, which party and the time of day. I probably did hear them at some point but some of their tracks are more on the chart end of dance music?

• Like 1

Since Branson made his fortune off the Sex Pistols and they have a Sex Pistol album in the cabin I'm hoping they are featured.  Can I keep the album?  I still have a turntable but never use it.

1 hour ago, RBCal said:

Since Branson made his fortune off the Sex Pistols and they have a Sex Pistol album in the cabin I'm hoping they are featured.  Can I keep the album?  I still have a turntable but never use it.

Pretty sure you’ll get charged if you take the album. Also no Sex Pistols music onboard unless a band chooses to include it in their set.