Step Children

MikeG

My wife and I are taking her children (my step-children) on our cruise with us in August, she is the custodial parent, so does this from the Carnival site apply to us?

When traveling with a minor and both parents/legal guardians are not cruising, we strongly recommend bringing an original signed letter from the absent parent/legal guardian authorizing the minor to travel with you. This will expedite processing by the Department of Homeland Security. Please note that a notarized letter to this effect is required if debarking with children in Mexico.

If so it might be a little difficult, the kids haven't seen their natural father in over 4 years :eek:

Of course it does. You may travel without it, and not be asked for it or you might, personnaly I wouldn't chance it.

Sounds like you need legal advice. Always best to get that from a lawyer as opposed to an internet message board.

We are in the same situation as you are, We have taken the children with us 4 times and i have never brought a release from the father nor have i ever been ask for one. This is just my personal experience with the situation.

When we took DS friend with us we had a letter of release from his father but not his mother. Carnival told us that was fine since his father was the custodial parent. It is always best to seek a professionals advice when in doubt, I am just telling you what worked for us on more then one occassion. HTH

Make sure you get a consent form from carnival for your step kids. We (myself and DH) took my daughter on our last cruise, and I have full custody. I took the concent form that carnival sent me along with my court papers granting me custody. We did not have any problems with anyone asking to see the papers. Have fun with your kids, enjoy watching their reactions to the "big ship" when they see it for the first time. By the way my DD was 9 years old.

We have sailed with this situation 12 times since 1998, and not once were we asked for any letter. My son was 8 years old when we started. I always carried my custody agreement with me, since I had full custody.

Of course, he also had a passport. I don't know if that helped or not.

Now he is 17, so it isn't an issue.

In 2004 we took my grandson and his mom (my dd) on a cruise with us. No questions were asked. After having read some messages on this board I called Carnival to ask what the policy was. My pvp said there "shouldn't be a problem.." Then she checked with her supervisor and came back saying it was OK. The child's 'father' is not named on the BC. It says 'Unspecified' in that spot. Also, she has full custody. I think it would be nearly impossible to get any kind of waiver from him since he is not a part of our lives.

We've cruised twice with my stepdaughters and have'nt been asked . When we went to Mexico this last cruise,we were advised that any child under 16 not travelling with both parents needed a letter of consent to bring them into the country. Never asked. We will always bring proper paperwork just in case,though, I'd hate to get caught up and waste time.

i just printed a form off the puter so i can take my 3 year old granddaughter on her 1st cruise in april. the site is ilrg.com/forms/auth-foreigntravel.html

Thanks Amelia .. considering he's not in the picture and I work with quite a few notories, it'll be quite easy to get this signed ;)

My wife and I are taking her children (my step-children) on our cruise with us in August, she is the custodial parent, so does this from the Carnival site apply to us?

If so it might be a little difficult, the kids haven't seen their natural father in over 4 years :eek:

I called Carnival to ask this same question. My daughter is cruising with my family later this year. Her father is in the picture, but we are not together. I wanted to know what, if anything, I needed to travel with her. The man at Carnival told me that as long as you are not staying more than 24 hours in Mexico there are no paper requirements. If over 24 hours, you would need something. I plan to bring her passport since it will be required at the time we return, but that is it.

Have fun on your cruise! :)

Archived