Mykonos to Delos - ferry question.

LadyStardust

Hi! I would like to make a trip to Delos while in Mykonos, as early in the AM as possible…I’m confused though, some websites say the first ferry is at 9 am, others at 10! I can’t seem to find a conclusive answer. Has anyone maybe been recently?

Summer of 2019, after researching all our ports,  were on a cruise and took the ship’s tour to Delos, therefore eliminating the need of touring by ourselves, and depending on ferry schedules that may or may not be available. 

19 hours ago, LadyStardust said:

Hi! I would like to make a trip to Delos while in Mykonos, as early in the AM as possible…I’m confused though, some websites say the first ferry is at 9 am, others at 10! I can’t seem to find a conclusive answer. Has anyone maybe been recently?

That's correct.  You are not going to get a conclusive answer.

Look, this is Greece.  Although things have significantly moved to the Western standards since joining the EU, people still have a much more laid back attitude to things.  That's the part of the charm of travel in Greece.

The boat to Delos may sail at 9:00 or 10:00, or whenever the captain determines that there is enough passengers, or whenever he feels like it. Just because a website states something doesn't mean much; frequently, I hear things like "Yeah, I know that our website says that, but it is wrong; we've been trying to get our webmaster to change it for months."  Likewise, just because a placard above a ticket booth, or printed on your ticket has a time, doesn't mean that these things should be taken at face value.  Thus, your inability to find a definite answer is completely natural.

As we were told in Greece 30 years ago when we asked about ferry schedules: "Look, here is the schedule of ferries, but nobody really pays any attention to it. Just go to the dock, find a boat that looks good, talk to the crew; if you like what they say, get on board, if not, look around the dock for another one."

I sympathize with your desire to be on Delos early.  In June of this year, we too wanted to get to Delos as early as possible so that we have as much afternoon back at Mykonos free, so I understand your question.  We went to the Delos pier in Mykonos, were first ones there, helped the ticket seller open the ticket booth when he arrived, and bought from him tickets to the next boat to Delos. In our case, the boat to Delos sailed at 9:00.

As I was told when I got flustered with the answer 2 paragraphs above: "Your whole life is just rush, rush for you; always working and living your life around schedules. The point of a vacation is to GET AWAY from schedules not to be slave to them like other times. Just relax, enjoy your vacation, and don't worry about schedules so much." And you know what? That is a great way of looking at life. Or, at least at a vacation in Greek Isles, anyway.  🙂 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1