walker/scooter on Scarlett ?

RotaryMike

I can't speak directly to a scooter/walker situation, but I did see a few people using assistive devices.  I have bad knees myself and I will say that some of the seating around the ship is very low which did make it difficult to get back up, but fortunately there is a wide variety of seating, so that should be easy enough to avoid.  I hear a rumor that there is an assistive device for the pool, but I never saw it and the step up onto the pool ledge and back down into the wading area of the pool is not the easiest thing with bad knees.  All of that being said, I don't see that the SL would be any more difficult than any other cruise ship.  

• Like 1

Scarlet Lady is almost fully accessible as is required by the ADA for any ship sailing out of the US.   You are welcome to bring a walker or scooter on board.  There are private companies in the port area that will deliver your rental to the port on the morning of your cruise so it is waiting when you check in and will pick it up after disembarkation.  VV has what they call  "ambulatory accessible" rooms which work for some people depending on their needs (they don't have all the features of an HA cabin like doors that open, but have a low step shower, bars in the bathroom, etc.) and fully accessible cabins that have automatic bathroom doors, room to transfer, a ramp to the balcony in Sky Terraces, etc.  If you bring a scooter, there are areas to charge it near the ambulatory accessible cabins.  I won't presume to tell you which cabin type will be right for you as each person is different.  I will tell you that the shoreside phone people are not good at explaining the differences.  Bottom line, you can use a walker or scooter with either type of room. 

Most restaurants have varied seating--tell them what you need if the chairs are too low or too soft, there are alternatives.  There are entrances that work with a wheelchair or scooter.  It is totally up to you whether you use an accessible entrance to anything, whether you bring your device with you , and whether you stay with your device or transfer to a chair (in which case they will take the device to a holding area and return it to you when you are ready).  There is a portable device to get people in and out of the pool; you have to let Sailor Services know what time you want it and they will set it up for you.

My travel companion has a progressive physical disability, so I've seen her go from needing no help to needing multiple assistive devices.  Cruise ships out of the US or those that sometimes sail out of the US are one of the easiest vacations as the ships are built to comply with all ADA regulations.  These are MUCH better than hotels, but that's another story.  Another advantage to VV--no obnoxious tweens hogging elevators, pushing every button, etc.  Most adults will hold the door and let you in rather than rushing the door and taking off before you get to the elevator!!!!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1