snorkelling equipment

Pooky11

Does anyone know if snorkelling equipment is readily avaiable at most of the beaches on the Southern Caribbean tour? We are visiting Magan's Bay in St Thomas, probably the Boatyard in Barbados and then a beach in Aruba.

We actually have our own equipment but is it worth taking it with us or just hire on the beach itself?

Thanks

Pooky

I agree - take your own. I can't imagine using a snorkel many others have used. Eww.:p I take my own snorkel and mask, and I rent fins from a dive shop - there are always plenty around on most of the beaches.

Take your own. Most beaches do not have gear for rent and when they have it, from what I have seen you would not want to use it, especially the masks and snorkels. If you have room take your own fins too, as you know, at least if you dive blisters from fins that are not exactly right are no fun.

Snorkels are available for purchase on the Conquest as a last resort. We brought our own stuff, but if you need it, its better than sucking on a tube thats been used by 100's before you!

I want to bring my own snorkel equiptment also. It's yellow and matches my bathing suit! Plus, the whole thing about sharing a snorkel with 500 other people makes me sick!

I was just wondering about taking it on and off the ship with me. I plan on doing some excursions and don't want to lug it with me. And after the excursion if I want to run back to the ship and get the snorkel set will that be a pain? How time consuming is it when you have to tender back and forth? Can you go back and forth as much as you like?

Thanks!

I have my own gear as well but have a different opinion. It is a HUGE pain in the XXX to take it. I always take it on a land vacation however. You can rent it also from the shore excursion desk if you like, by the day or the week. Go to any dive shop and buy some snorkel disinfectant and take it w/you. I used to take it on cruises and the airplane pressure (it was a carry-on) broke my $200.00 mask. Not worth it in my opinion. BTW: yes you can go back and forth as much as you please while in port but again a royal pain in the XXX!

I want to bring my own snorkel equiptment also. It's yellow and matches my bathing suit! Plus, the whole thing about sharing a snorkel with 500 other people makes me sick!

I was just wondering about taking it on and off the ship with me. I plan on doing some excursions and don't want to lug it with me. And after the excursion if I want to run back to the ship and get the snorkel set will that be a pain? How time consuming is it when you have to tender back and forth? Can you go back and forth as much as you like?

Thanks!

Get a mesh bag or backpack to carry your gear.

I have my own gear as well but have a different opinion. It is a HUGE pain in the XXX to take it. I always take it on a land vacation however. You can rent it also from the shore excursion desk if you like, by the day or the week. Go to any dive shop and buy some snorkel disinfectant and take it w/you. I used to take it on cruises and the airplane pressure (it was a carry-on) broke my $200.00 mask. Not worth it in my opinion. BTW: yes you can go back and forth as much as you please while in port but again a royal pain in the XXX!

Poolgal

What happend to your mask?

Get a mesh bag or backpack to carry your gear.

I have an over the shoulder mesh bag for my equiptment. However, on one excursion we are doing the zipline canopy tour in Belize. I really don't want that strapped to me when I am up there. I am not sure if Belize is a dock or not - I will have to double check. I am leaning towards bringing it because I feel more comfortable with my own stuff. :)

I have an over the shoulder mesh bag for my equiptment. However, on one excursion we are doing the zipline canopy tour in Belize. I really don't want that strapped to me when I am up there. I am not sure if Belize is a dock or not - I will have to double check. I am leaning towards bringing it because I feel more comfortable with my own stuff. :)

Belize is tendered service. They don't have any docks yet that can support a cruise ship. Also an alternative is to get a "folding" snorkel. Mine folds in thirds and springs into shape when I release it (I use a thick rubberband to keep it folded). That plus my mask takes up a very small amount of space about 8"x3"x6" (just larger than a fanny pack but smaller than two bottles of water).

Randall

• 10 months later...

I am not sure if the cruise lines rent out equipment, but if you have your own, I agree that you should bring it with you. You do not want to take any chances.

When we were snorkeling in Grand Cayman, DH's mask and snorkel, which he had used from the tour operator, had a slight crack in it. From that moment on we decided that we would bring our own. These things can ruin your day. Yes, it is more cumbersome to carry, but I would rather have something that works, than to take a chance. Just my .02.

Archived