Review of Oosterdam Trieste to Athens August 21 to 28

bwlewer

Just back from my first trip with Holland America, and it summary: Brilliant!

I'm still relatively new to cursing, most of my family vacations have been Disney centric, but over the last 6 years we've taken 6 MSC cruises including Caribbean, Mediterranean, South American and even Middle East.  The original and continued attraction was the status match that put me in the top category for my very first sailing.  

We chose Holland American for this trip for the itinerary.  It was the only line that hit the ports we wanted to visit in the month we wanted to travel (for our anniversary).  We have always travelled Yacht Club at MSC, so decided to try Neptune Suite on the Oosterdam.  This was a great decision.  (Note: it was exceptionally expensive so I'm not recommending it for everyone...we would have had just as great time in other other cabin with a balcony)  

Some overall thoughts and observations:

- By far, the most impressive part was the service.  Literally every single crew member was delightful.  Every interaction was left me with the impression that they cared for me personally, that I received the best service possible, and that they genuinely enjoyed their role.   From the EXCEPTIONAL room steward (Ko)  to the concierge, to the staff at the EXC cafe, to the MDR wait staff, to the security.  Every single crew member was top notch.  This is VERY different than MSC where I have had exceptional interactions, and awful ones.  

- The ship, while older, was in top top shape.  The cabin show signs of aging, but was immaculate, and large.  Plenty of room to relax.   Its also a much smaller ship than the MSC ones I've sailed, but that became irrelevant.  

- Plenty of good food options.  We mostly had in-room breakfast, and Dive In lunch (my fav), and MDR dinners.  All with plenty of options.  Note: if you want the vegetarian menu, it took us a few times to find someone who knew about it.  Orange Club sis have a special line and a special entrée, but IMO, it wasn't that special to call out.   

- The internet was slow-ish, but I was on vacation so not really a problem

- We had excursions every day that I thought were well organized.  I had a few last min changes I wanted to make and the excursion team was right on them and quickly resolved.  

- I spent a log time at Explorations cafe.  Really good speciality coffee.  Strangely though, extra shots and syrups are counted as drinks even if the total price is under $11.  I ordered an iced vanilla latte with an extra shot and that cost me 3 drinks (of the 15).  Didn't make that mistake a second time.  That's a fault of the crew, they know its an odd thing, but the computer system enforced it

- I really didn't use the Neptune Lounge that much.  A few snacks here and there and a question or two of the concierge.  It is true that 5pm to 8pm there is no cost for the honour bar.  

- All I can eat laundry was spectacular.  I came home with 90% clean clothes for the trip!

- Entertainment is in the eye of the beholder.  I personally loved the EXC lectures, very well produced and the cruise director did a really great job presenting.  I also likes the dancers/singers every night.  We are early risers and early to bed so didn't really spend time at the bars/music places.  For anyone who is looking for large stage shows, not on this ship.

- Embarkation was at the old commercial port in Trieste.  Seemed to be just a temporary tent so no bells or whistles.  We didn't get anything priority but very few passengers were boarding when we did.  Side note, only 1200 or so passengers on this sailing.  The ship seemed empty most of the time, never waiting for an MDR seat or elevator.  On a very positive note, from the bus to the cabin was no more than 15 min.  Literally never been that fast on any sailing!

I'm now looking to see what options are available for next year!

Lots more to say and happy to answer any questions.  

• Like 4

@bwlewer Very good review and mirrored our recent experience on the Oosterdam.  We were on the cruise prior to yours that ended in Trieste on August 21.  BTW, you might find it interesting that the Oosterdam overnighted in Trieste at the end of our cruise.  But on August 20 it moored at the cruise terminal in downtown Trieste within walking distance to many of the sights.  Then in the middle of the night it moved to the industrial port where we disembarked and you boarded the next day.  Never heard of that being done before.

We were curious, did you check-in at the real cruise terminal downtown and then get bused to the industrial port with the tent, or did you check-in directly at the tent in the industrial port?

2 hours ago, Torquer said:

@bwlewer Very good review and mirrored our recent experience on the Oosterdam.  We were on the cruise prior to yours that ended in Trieste on August 21.  BTW, you might find it interesting that the Oosterdam overnighted in Trieste at the end of our cruise.  But on August 20 it moored at the cruise terminal in downtown Trieste within walking distance to many of the sights.  Then in the middle of the night it moved to the industrial port where we disembarked and you boarded the next day.  Never heard of that being done before.

We were curious, did you check-in at the real cruise terminal downtown and then get bused to the industrial port with the tent, or did you check-in directly at the tent in the industrial port?

Yes, during the Captain Q&A, he did mention that they had to move to the industrial port overnight since their late  schedule changes and didn't have a slip available.

We were bussed from the Tronchetto terminal in Venice all the way to the tent at the Trieste industrial port.  

Thanks for all the valuable information. You provided us with tips and insight for our upcoming cruise on Oosterdam. It’s sure disappointing about the specialty coffee counting as 3 drinks in the signature beverage package.

When you talked about adding the extra shot, was that alcohol or their flavored sweetener?

3 hours ago, Dunmore2 said:

Thanks for all the valuable information. You provided us with tips and insight for our upcoming cruise on Oosterdam. It’s sure disappointing about the specialty coffee counting as 3 drinks in the signature beverage package.

When you talked about adding the extra shot, was that alcohol or their flavored sweetener?

Extra expresso shot.  

That being said, I'm pretty sure over the days of coming 3-4 times a day the crew at the cafe prepared the beverage differently than what they ordered in the system completely to my benefit...  lol.  I enjoyed my favourite beverage multiple times without losing all my credits, and the customer service is exceptional.  

I do want to mention that I had the Signature package and didn't upgrade to Elite.  Not once did we get to 15 beverages per day (with one of us).  Neptune lounge had beverages, and we had Aqua Panna bottles water delivered on the first day.

Edited by bwlewer