Best place for film?

steff613

No matter what anyone says.........DO NOT Take chances with your film.

put all rolls (take out of those plastic containers) in a clear baggie and hand it to the security person and ask to have it hand checked.....

People will tell you that unless you have 800 asa (ISO) or above it will not hurt the film..........

But do you really want to take the chance.....The x-ray machines are much stronger than they used to be...

I agree with the other reply. Also everytime you get on the ship your stuff gets xrayed. Your goal should be to minimize the number of times each roll of film gets xrayed because there is a damaging affect on film and it increases with the number of times it is xrayed. (Kodak says after 5 times the damage starts showing; but it can be earlier.) They used to allow your film to be hand inspected each time you got on the ship, but since 9/11 they make everything go through the xray machine.

So when you get off at each port, try to take the right number of rolls that you'll need that day. That's hard to estimate up front.

With digital cameras you don't have the xray problem.

I'm probably considered a bit weird for doing this, but.....I take my camcorder, my 35mm, and my digital camera on all vacations. (Well - each has special functions.);)

I put them all, along with the film, into one of those 2-gallon ziplok freezer bags. Like Voyager, I give the bag to airport personnel as well as cruiseship personnel - and ask them to handcheck it. Nobody has ever seemed to mind doing this.

I take absolutely NO chances with my vacation memories!:)

I'm probably considered a bit weird for doing this, but.....I take my camcorder, my 35mm, and my digital camera on all vacations. (Well - each has special functions.)

And WHAT exactly is wierd about that?!?! :confused: :p I TOTALLY understand!! Sometimes there is even a Waterproof camera in the mix!! hehehe!!

My hubby usually asks me - before we go to any place he thinks that I may possibly be bringing a camera, "So, how many are you bringing this time?!" I know EXACTLY what you are saying!! (After vacations, some people ask me, "Did you do anything besides take pictures?!" Hey, I am a scrapbooker! ;) )

:D

I'm probably considered a bit weird for doing this, but.....I take my camcorder, my 35mm, and my digital camera on all vacations. (Well - each has special functions.);)

:)

I agree....It never hurts to have a back-up.....what if one camera fails ?

Although I've been experimenting with doing less video....and just doing short video clips on the Digital Camera....course you need tons of memory and battery for that....

Archived