Specialty Restaurant reservations when SOLO

tropicalkerry2002

5 hours ago, tropicalkerry2002 said:

I have booked a 7 day cruise on Insignia for next Sept, and am paying double the per person rate.

Will I get 1 reservation in each specialty or 2? What has happened for you past SOLO travellers?

I am an avid O fan, but lately sister cruiseline Regent has had better solo pricing. I found several tempting 25% solo supplement itineraries. I have 2 cruises booked on Regent and 3 booked on O. Take a look!

• Like 2

O has a great solo experience!  I was on the Riviera November transatlantic last year, and there were about five or six organized solo get together‘s in the lounge next to Baristas. Started around 530 or 630, I don’t remember exactly. We had about 20 or more at every get together, Alcohol was hosted, and after about an hour anyone who wanted to have dinner together would eat in the main dining room. We always had two tables and O provided two bottles of wine for each table. Christina Hill, an associate cruise Director, always accompanied us to dinner and organized the get together. She made it a really great experience for all. The meeting time and place became an informal get together on the nights nothing was scheduled officially. I really had a great time, met some great people, and made some good friends!

The TA was a 16 day cruise with five or six evenings of hosted alcohol, then there’s the captains welcome on the second night with open bar, and there’s an unlimited ability to bring alcohol onboard (for in cabin consumption only or wine in restaurant with a $25 corkage fee) and two for one happy hours twice a day. I never bought the drink package and saved a lot of money by buying my wine on shore and paying the $25 corkage fee, and if I wanted a cocktail I bought a double pour at the two-for-one happy hour.

that’s one reason why I prefer Oceania over Regent in theory at least. With Regent you are paying a lot more for the all inclusive experience, which has advantages. I like O’s à la carte pricing so that I only pay for what I need (do I sound like a commercial?) on Oceania. And on Oceania I can either go on an excursion organized by Oceania, or join with fellow passengers active on the CC rollcall to do a customized private tour. My choice!

And what I like best about Oceania cruises above all else are my fellow passengers! It’s a different demographic than celebrity or Holland America. Not sure how to describe the difference with other cruise lines, but I’ve found my home!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Thank you for the great info, PhD-iva!!! I love O too, it's the only line I have ever cruised on!

I had a peek at Regent, but just their starting prices listed under the single supplement specials, made me wince. That price must be for an inside, and I was fortunate enough to get a balcony with the Labour Day sale.

I'm not a big drinker, barely even a little drinker, but if someone is offering, sure, I'll take a glass! I usually like to bring a bottle of Kailua on board, and have room service bring me some cream every day, so I can have a Brown Cow when the mood strikes.

SO looking forward to cruising again! Your upcoming cruises look fabulous...ENJOY!

2 minutes ago, tropicalkerry2002 said:

Thank you for the great info, PhD-iva!!! I love O too, it's the only line I have ever cruised on!

I had a peek at Regent, but just their starting prices listed under the single supplement specials, made me wince. That price must be for an inside, and I was fortunate enough to get a balcony with the Labour Day sale.

I'm not a big drinker, barely even a little drinker, but if someone is offering, sure, I'll take a glass! I usually like to bring a bottle of Kailua on board, and have room service bring me some cream every day, so I can have a Brown Cow when the mood strikes.

SO looking forward to cruising again! Your upcoming cruises look fabulous...ENJOY!

I agree Regent is pricey, but since I pay for bizclass air that helps to equalize the pricing. Also, Navigator is their only ship w a few non balcony cabins. All other ships are 100% veranda staterooms.

O has some 50% single supplement itins. Have you looked to see if there’s anything of interest? I like to reserve my cruises 1 or 2 years out, and only Regent offers low single supplement on those cruises dated so far in advance.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, PhD-iva said:

I agree Regent is pricey, but since I pay for bizclass air that helps to equalize the pricing. Also, Navigator is their only ship w a few non balcony cabins. All other ships are 100% veranda staterooms.

O has some 50% single supplement itins. Have you looked to see if there’s anything of interest? I like to reserve my cruises 1 or 2 years out, and only Regent offers low single supplement on those cruises dated so far in advance.

Out of curiosity I went to the Regent website to re-price my 19 day San Antonio to Buenos Aires Cruise in 2024 on voyager in February 2024, including three days pre-cruise wineTour in Chile. This cruise has a low single supplement, but when I went to reprice it online, it charged 100%.
That reminded me that on the website it’s a little wonky. The pricing worked out to be 25% as I recall, but only my travel agent or the Regent ta could see those prices. 
so you might get a better answer if you ask your TA. When I compare the price of that regent cruise, which is all inclusive including excursions, business class airfare for international flights, and alcohol, the Regent price compares favorably to the Oceania comparable itinerary. Check w your TA…..

• 4 weeks later...
On 9/4/2022 at 3:39 PM, tropicalkerry2002 said:

Hi A Knitter!

Used to see you a lot a few years ago on CC...nice to see you again, and thanks!

Didn't you have a cocker spaniel photo?

Thanks for thinking of me and yes. The cocker in the photo is now 8 years old.  Hubby and I crusing Montreal to Miami the end of the month.