Rockin n Rollin

Many recent AOS reviews that I have read all say that when leaving San Juan, the water has been really rough. Is the Atlantic typically rougher in Dec., Jan., and Feb. as opposed to other times of the year? We've book AOS for the end of March next year. My parents are going with us and this will be their first cruise. My mom is a little nervous about the trip, especially the water. Just wondering what to expect in March. Thanks.

Funny you mention that, because I was thinking the same thing about the rough seas while reading the recent reviews.

We went on the AOS in April 2004, and the waters were so smooth. It was one of the smoothest I had ever been on. We've cruised in November from Galveston twice, and both times had a little rocking and rolling. I was expecting something similar, and I was completely surprised.

I hope your mom has the same experience we did!

CM

We were on the AOS a few weeks ago and the seas were ROUGH. The first night after dinner when we went back to our cabin, all the cabinets and drawers were open.....I thought we had been robbed :eek: Nope, it was because the sea was very rough. That being said, the majority of our cruise was smooth sailing until the last night when the ship was rolling from side to side.....

I was fortunate enough to be offered a bridge tour, and one of the things they told us whas that they do not use the stabilizers very often as they use a lot of fuel. I think we comfort ourselves thinking that because the ship is equipped with stabilizers, it won't rock. Simply not true.

That being said, we were not being tossed around the ship! There was just more motion than usual - it was more noticeable. Seasickness is not an issue for me and I actually enjoyed being rocked to sleep at night.

I guess it's the luck of the draw as to how calm or rough the seas will be.....

I love to have at least 1 rough day at sea, I love it. It just really emphasizes the "middle of the ocean" feel. I was on Brilliance in 04 and we encountered 30-40 foot waves, what a sight and feel.

I don't know about 30-40 ft seas--a bit too much for my tastes! Our 1st cruise was very rough--hard to walk up and down the stairs as the ship would "fall away" from you at times. That's the only time we've had that experience. This was cruising near Bahamas/Key West area. I prefer calmers seas, but as long as it's not raining... It's all ok with me!

In the Caribbean, seas can be rougher in the winter months. If you talk to anyone who regularly bareboats in the BVIs, they will tell you that winter month seas can really make a boat rock and roll. Why? I have no idea, but I think that dissipates in the Spring.

Thanks again for the replies. My very first cruise experience was an Eastern Carib. in November several years ago. Our itinerary was changed before we ever stepped foot on the ship due to Hurricane Marco. The first three days were so bad that they locked all outside doors. Majority of the passengers were sea sick, including some of the staff. I don't mind a little rockin but that was way too much!!! I swore I would NEVER cruise again. Well I have and my last cruise was perfect. I hope we have good luck next year too.

Archived