Chef's Table with Premium Drink Package

patty1955

I've seen this asked before but I've never seen an answer that wasn't speculation.

Can we use the drink package to match wine to the courses at the Chef's Table? I know the wines offered with the Chef's Table are supposed to be better quality and higher priced than what we will get with the drink package but will the sommelier match wines for us? I was going to research comparable wines before our cruise but with the limited wines available there's no guarantee that the wines I choose will be available.  

Does anyone have any experience with this?

Yes, but...

Current staffing may mean that the person you're depending upon to do the pairings may not be experienced enough to do a good job of it.  I'd take a brief reading of that experience with a couple of simple questions based upon whatever they're serving for the 1st course, and based upon the answers you get, plan to have a basic list in your pocket from which to work.  If you can get the menu in advance, that would be a good place to start.

8 minutes ago, canderson said:

Yes, but...

Current staffing may mean that the person you're depending upon to do the pairings may not be experienced enough to do a good job of it.  I'd take a brief reading of that experience with a couple of simple questions based upon whatever they're serving for the 1st course, and based upon the answers you get, plan to have a basic list in your pocket from which to work.  If you can get the menu in advance, that would be a good place to start.

That's not a bad idea. On our last Celebrity cruise, we asked our waiter to suggest a wine. He said "red for meat and white for fish?" I would hope that the sommelier would do better than that, but you never know

I’ve done the Chefs Table with even the Classic DP and had the Sommelier match some lovely wines to the course. On the Apex, with the CDP I’m sure he gave me better wines than were in that package! 
Asking your waiter for wine selections would never get you the correct selection. That’s why X has Sommeliers. Just keep in mind, each ship/itinerary is subject to supply chain deficiencies that are constantly changing.