US citizen born abroad

BLAMBKY

• BLAMBKY changed the title to US citizen born abroad
Just now, BLAMBKY said:

Thank you for that, I am hoping that his passport will be renewed (expedited) in time. It is hard booking/paying in full thinking that he could be denied over someone not understanding what it is. 

11 hours ago, Ferry_Watcher said:

Cruise check-in agents do see/deal with the Consular Report of Birth Abroad Certificates being submitted as proof of US citizenship.....

As someone who has checked in cruise passengers, I have seen my share of Consular Report of US Birth Abroad documents.  One cruise I had two sisters who were both born abroad in Spain.  Check-in agents are trained about what citizenship documents qualify for the US closed loop cruises.  It is possible that instead of being checked-in by a agent using a tablet, your traveling companion may be directed to the counter where there may be more experienced agents using  laptop computers.   All agents are trained to ask a supervisor for help if they have any questions about documents.

I work with passengers sailing to Alaska (and there is always a stop in Canada), so I while I am comfortable answering questions about Alaska sailings, I couldn't/wouldn't answer questions about cruises that sail south of the boarder.  I will say that whatever closed loop cruise you are going on, if it qualifies as allowing a US passenger to use their  US gov't issued birth certificate to sail, then your traveling companion's Consular Report of Birth Abroad Report would also qualify.

Have a great cruise!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Ferry_Watcher said:

As someone who has checked in cruise passengers, I have seen my share of Consular Report of US Birth Abroad documents.  One cruise I had two sisters who were both born abroad in Spain.  Check-in agents are trained about what citizenship documents qualify for the US closed loop cruises.  It is possible that instead of being checked-in by a agent using a tablet, your traveling companion may be directed to the counter where there may be more experienced agents using  laptop computers.   All agents are trained to ask a supervisor for help if they have any questions about documents.

I work with passengers sailing to Alaska (and there is always a stop in Canada), so I while I am comfortable answering questions about Alaska sailings, I couldn't/wouldn't answer questions about cruises that sail south of the boarder.  I will say that whatever closed loop cruise you are going on, if it qualifies as allowing a US passenger to use their  US gov't issued birth certificate to sail, then your traveling companion's Consular Report of Birth Abroad Report would also qualify.

Have a great cruise!

Oh goodness this makes me breathe a BIG sigh of relief, thank you!

• Like 1

My dad was in the Air Force and both parents are US citizens. I was born in Germany. I only have a Germany birth certificate. When I went on my first cruise I did not have my passport. All I needed was my valid drivers license, my German Birth certificate and my State Department Birth Abroad (CRBA) 

I did get a passport because every person was man handling my German birth certificate. Any it’s not easy to get a new one. Hope this helps and Happy Sailing!!!!

I didn't see your original post before you edited it, but if I'm getting the idea right…

My very first cruise in the 80s was a 5 day Mexican Riviera and I didn't have a passport. My birth certificate was issued by the State Department because I was born in Japan while my father was stationed there.The agent at the port took a look at my birth certificate, looked confused, had to go ask a supervisor and they had me sign a document attesting that I was indeed a US citizen. I'm sure things are handled different now, but I looked on that document as more of a CYA on their part. They can say "hey, she said she was a citizen, so we took her word for it."