Has anyone done the San Juan one-tank dive excursion on Carnival?

Sigyn

There's a dive excursion on San Juan that is listed as "Certified One Tank Dive at Escambron Marine Park" for $139.99 pp. Has anyone done it? It seems awfully steep for just three hours, including travel time, and just a one tank dive. I'm wondering if there are better options. Or if someone has done this and loved it. 

@njsmom

I haven't done the Carnival excursion, but I once did a shore dive at the Hilton, which is immediately next door.  $139.99 is a ridiculous amount for a dive at this site.  The dives would be off the beach, and the fish have all been acclimated to being fed.  I've never heard of any good diving in Puerto Rico within the immediate San Juan area, so when I've been there, I don't bother trying to dive.  However, San Juan makes a great embarkation ports for scuba cruises. 

Harris

Denver, Co

Edited by omeinv
  • Like 1

On 9/16/2022 at 6:57 PM, omeinv said:

@njsmom

I haven't done the Carnival excursion, but I once did a shore dive at the Hilton, which is immediately next door.  $139.99 is a ridiculous amount for a dive at this site.  The dives would be off the beach, and the fish have all been acclimated to being fed.  I've never heard of any good diving in Puerto Rico within the immediate San Juan area, so when I've been there, I don't bother trying to dive.  However, San Juan makes a great embarkation ports for scuba cruises. 

Harris

Denver, Co

This is helpful, thank you!

• 2 weeks later...

Please read what I posted in your other recent thread.

Harris above is exactly correct, this excursion is through Scuba Dogs at Escambron Park. And yes, $139 pp is absolutely ridiculous! Your cab fare from the port might be $20 for two people and gear. Tanks and weights might be another $30 pp, and a return cab ride another $20. A search on Google Maps and the Scuba Dogs website will show you how feasible this is to do on your own. 

I agree this is not the best dive in the world. In the sheltered bay areas the dive is shallow (15'-20') and the water is milky with viz of 25' or so. Outside the bay areas the viz is better but is it awfully surgey. However, for a father son who are looking to spend some time together, perhaps a first time shore dive, perhaps first time diving off a cruise ship without a authorized excursion, or just a newly minted OW diver in general; there's just plain not a lot of trouble you can get into...except for the stonefish.

5 hours ago, Bobroo said:

Please read what I posted in your other recent thread.

Harris above is exactly correct, this excursion is through Scuba Dogs at Escambron Park. And yes, $139 pp is absolutely ridiculous! Your cab fare from the port might be $20 for two people and gear. Tanks and weights might be another $30 pp, and a return cab ride another $20. A search on Google Maps and the Scuba Dogs website will show you how feasible this is to do on your own. 

I agree this is not the best dive in the world. In the sheltered bay areas the dive is shallow (15'-20') and the water is milky with viz of 25' or so. Outside the bay areas the viz is better but is it awfully surgey. However, for a father son who are looking to spend some time together, perhaps a first time shore dive, perhaps first time diving off a cruise ship without a authorized excursion, or just a newly minted OW diver in general; there's just plain not a lot of trouble you can get into...except for the stonefish.

My husband did a non-cruise excursion dive in The Bahamas in 2013 and it went quite smoothly. He's a very experienced diver himself. My son is the new diver in our family.