What to do in LA for a day

Arrive at LAX at 9:30 AM and don't cruise out of San Pedro until 5:30 PM. Any suggestions? Should we go to San Pedro and find something to do around there, or possibly take a tour bus to Hollywood?

There is a thread about this from about a week or two ago. Do a search!

First of all, you are not talking a day. You are only there for a few hours. Head for San Pedro. If your tour bus breaks down on the Freeway or you get delayed otherwise, you might regret it. And you have luggage to schlep around. Board the ship as soon as you can and enjoy the pool, food, and everything else you have all ready paid for.

Although you could plan to visit a Los Angeles sight, by the time you get out of LAX from a 9:30 Flt, you may want to go on down to SP. You will probably get there as the ship is ready to board and you can get settled in to check your dinner seating, make spa appts., etc. Hollywood is in the other direction from LAX and could take an hour to get to and even more to get back to SP! If you do go somewhere, try to avoid making any payments up front--then if flight is delayed, etc., you aren't tempted to chance getting to the ship late to save a few bucks, JMO.

Have a great Cruise.

Oh you can do alot, but.... you must know that even tho you could be within 10 miles of the airport, it could take you 2 hours to get back unless you know the back roads.

When I visit our regional office in LA - actually, Santa Monica Blvd, corner of Beverly Hills & Century City. One trip, the 405 was wide open at 11:45am, got off at Santa Monica and headed east where it took me 45 minutes go about 2 miles. Now I do the back roads as one just never knows.

Still, I would go for it! Have a great time!!

Having lived in LA I would HIGHLY recommend you got straight to the ship. Assuming your flight lands on time you still won't get out until 10am-10:30a depending on how long it takes to get checked luggage. Then, more time if you rent a car (then where would you drop it off)? To get a shuttle or taxi ti Hollywood can take anywhere for 10min to 45 min depending on lines and schedules, then it can take 1/2 hour to 2 hours to get there on the freeway depending on traffic (wrecks, etc...) So at this point it may be as late as noon or 1pm before you reach Hollywood. If you get a tour it will probably be about 2-4 hours long. This gets you to 3p-4p at BEST! Then you have to go back PAST the airport to get to the ship at RUSH HOUR!!!!

Take my advice, go straight to the ship and enjoy all it has to offer. LA will be there (hopefully) for you to book a seperate trip to when you have time to enjoy it properly.

Enjoy the cruise!

Having lived in LA I would HIGHLY recommend you got straight to the ship. Assuming your flight lands on time you still won't get out until 10am-10:30a depending on how long it takes to get checked luggage. Then, more time if you rent a car (then where would you drop it off)? To get a shuttle or taxi ti Hollywood can take anywhere for 10min to 45 min depending on lines and schedules, then it can take 1/2 hour to 2 hours to get there on the freeway depending on traffic (wrecks, etc...) So at this point it may be as late as noon or 1pm before you reach Hollywood. If you get a tour it will probably be about 2-4 hours long. This gets you to 3p-4p at BEST! Then you have to go back PAST the airport to get to the ship at RUSH HOUR!!!!

Take my advice, go straight to the ship and enjoy all it has to offer. LA will be there (hopefully) for you to book a seperate trip to when you have time to enjoy it properly.

Enjoy the cruise!

I agree. I lived in the LA area for a year and would strongly suggest that you go from LAX to SP. I travel on the side of caution. If I don't have anything planned time wise, then yes, I would do some sightseeing, but you do. And with traffic, you never know. I also use to live in Orange County and it would take me 45 minutes to go five miles... now I'm in Vegas and it still takes me 45 minutes to go five miles... (not really, but at 5:00 p.m. on the 95 it sure feels like it...) Enjoy your cruise and have fun.

Dona :)

Archived