Shore Excursion recommendations

We're sailing the Eastern Carribbean on the NOS this November and I'd appreciate some input, suggestions regarding shore excursions. I would love to do the dolphin swim in Nassau but wonder if it's worth it? I have also heard that Meagan's Beach is a good choice for St. Maarten. Any ideas for us would be very helpful.....I think we can start reserving in April so I'd like to get some ideas before then. Has anyone ever rented mopeds/scooters at any of the ports before?

Sherlynn, if you want to do Megan's Bay, you can do it on your own VERY easily. All you need to do is grab a taxi and go! There is a small fee to get into the beach area. Also, for St. Maarten, check out the America's Cup Regatta. It is a fabulous excursion!

About scooters/mopeds, people on these boards have said how dangerous they have been and would not do them again. Taxis are available everywhere.

Check out the Ports of Call on the "Forum Jump" at the bottom of this page. There are lots of ideas for excursions in the Eastern ports.

Have fun planning!

If you hit the Island of Aruba, I STRONGLY recommend any excursion that takes you out to 'Pinot Island'. Beautiful small island, nice beach, very nice snorkling, nice bar/lunch area. The excursion we booked included the all-inclusive bar/lunch. There were other people that booked a helmet dive, and they raved about that. We just booked the snorkling excursion there. Everyone that went to the island had access to the lunch/bar though.

Thanks for the tip about the excursions forum....I'll check it out. We won't be visiting Aruba on this cruise although I have been there before and I agree that it is a beautiful port.

Is there time to do both the America's Cup Regatta and go to Megan's Bay in one day at St. Maarten? I'd also be interested to hear about the Dolphin swim at Nassau. Thanks!

By far the best excursion is in St Thomas called BOB. It is underwater mopeds. You sit on this motorized underwater type bike, and you drive and explore the coral, fish, shipwrecks in this thing. Unbelievable, only one ohter place IN THE WORLD has them. Once in a lifetime excursion that you will find NOWHERE else.

If you hit the Island of Aruba, I STRONGLY recommend any excursion that takes you out to 'Pinot Island'. Beautiful small island, nice beach, very nice snorkling, nice bar/lunch area. The excursion we booked included the all-inclusive bar/lunch. There were other people that booked a helmet dive, and they raved about that. We just booked the snorkling excursion there. Everyone that went to the island had access to the lunch/bar though.

Me bad.... :o It's not Pinot Island (that was St. Maartens)... Aruba had Del Palm Island!!!!! Sorry for any confusion....

I just got back from the Eastern Carribbean on the Navigator on Sat. I went to St Johns and snorkeled at Trunk's Bay while I was at St Thomas. It was wonderful. St Johns in beautiful. I think it was the St John's Beach Tour. Don't over schedule the excursions, we did. I wish we would have done our own thing at least one of the stops. In Nassua I went on a sail and Snorkel, which was great. We went out by Paradise Island. In San juan I went on a City Tour and that included the Fort, that was neat, I could have skipped the rest of the tour. In St Martin I went on the treetop adventure, ziplines and other things up in the trees. After that I had time to shop. There's plenty of shopping to do close to the ships.

Hope this helps a little

Iowagal, I am dying to do the treetop tour - is it great? Or just eh! We don't get to travel much and my bf has never been anywhere except PA., Nj and NYC, where we live. I want him to have a great time. Do you think it was worth the time and money - we're pretty active people...

Thanks!

Melody

We have done this itinerary 3 times now and love St. Thomas and St. Martin. We always do our own thing there. Megans Bay is beautiful and I highly recommend taking a cab there to spend the day. There is a bar/restaurant, hair brading, and water sports to rent. For St. Martin, we rented a jeep from best deal car rental through the sxm site for the day. $95 total with taxes and everything, which is cheaper than taking a taxi just to Orient Beach and we had the car for the entire day. We spent more time in Merigot this time and really loved it. Very chic and nice shopping. Parking is not an issue. Just north of there is a beach called Fryer's Beach which is just off the beaten path. There were signs to get to it from Merigot going North towards Grand Case. Very quiet beach and beautiful. Renting a car/jeep is the way to go in St. Martin. Perfect day. Have a great time!

For St. Thomas we would really encourage you to look into sailing on the Jester (http://www.sailjester.com) We booked this 2 years ago and it was fantastic! It is a private sailboat that only takes 6 passengers (I think - check the website). It sails out from a beach near Red Hook (it was easy to find them) and went over to St. John. We snorkelled at Honeymoon Beach, which is only accessible from the water, so it was very quiet there. They provide all of the equipment, have floating pads you can lay out on that are attached to the back of the boat, and serve free drinks and lunch. We felt like we were still on our cruise ship the way they took care of us. It was a fun and beautiful trip - at least check out the website if you think you might have an interest in something like this.

My son (11yrs old - almost 5' and active) and husband would like to do the treetop excursion. Based on your experience do you feel kids that age should be able to handle the zip line directions? Also since it's just the 2 of them would you suggest my son go before or after my husband on the course? Is there room enough on the platforms for the two of them just in case my son needs some help with the clipping?

Thanks for your help.

Thanks so much for all the responses and input.....I think the beach day in St. Thomas will be top priority for sure. We may check out the BOB tour and I'm still contemplating a dolphin swim if DH will join me. What water sport rentals are available at Meagan's Beach? Jet skis?

Archived