Onboard check in and Luggage Valet service

You do not have to arrange for this service before you leave on your cruise. They will have information on the ship about the valet service. We are going to use it on our next cruise. I think it is well worth the money.

Carrie:)

We used the onboard check in/luggage valet service in Vancouver after our Southbound Alaska cruise. We thought it was WELL worth it. Here's information from a previous post I made...

The ship offered a service they called two different names.... They originally called it "onboard airline check-in", but on the departure information sheet, they called it "onboard valet service". For $15 per person, the ship will take your luggage to the airport. You turn it in the night before as usual and the next time you see it is when you pick it up at the airport at your final destination. They also supply you with the boarding passes for your flight and baggage claims. They instructed us to meet in the Aurora Theatre at 7am with our carryon bags. We got there a little late (about 7:10am). The personnel handling the program showed up around 7:40 and there were some very cranky passengers. They could have handled the communication better, but I didn't think it warranted the behavior of some of the pax. They had tables set up on the stage and you picked up your boarding passes/baggage claims, once you did, you had priority disembarking to immediately leave the ship. We were first in line, had our boarding passes 2 minutes later and were on the gangway off the ship by 7:45.

Sooooo I guess you don't have to worry about the over weight fees if RCCI takes it from the ship and arranges it to be at your final destination?

I have seen so many people at the airport frantically pulling stuff out of their 3 overweight bags. What do you think will happen if the luggage valet takes care of the baggage?

The sign up sheet has a place for you to fill in credit card information so they can charge you if your luggage is overweight... ;)

We are on the Vision of the Seas out of Seattle on August 25. Our flight home on September 1 is on Alaska Airlines. I'd love to not have to worry about our luggage at all once we put it out the night before we leave the ship!

One poster mentioned there being information in their cabin when they arrived about this "luggage valet service." Has anyone encountered this service on Vision in Seattle?

On Radiance, they delivered the information/sign up sheet a couple of days into the cruise.

They do it in Vancouver, Canada but you must go on the bus and directly to customs, at least that was what happened in May to friends.

We were able to take a taxi to the airport in Vancouver in June.

Read my earlier post - we just returned from the Vision on June 30. Luggage Valet is a paid service that you request by turning in an application to the Purser's desk by the third day of your cruise. The application is left in your room by your steward. We flew AA, but the application indicated that NWA, Delta, United and others "might" qualify for the valet service. If you or your flight don't qualify (for whatever reason), you will be notified. If accepted, your Ship account is charged $15 per person for a maximum of two bags per person. On the last night of the cruise you receive special white tags for your luggage, as well as your boarding passes to the final destination! You put the bags in the hallway before 11:00 p.m. We didn't see our bags again until we arrived in OKC. That made sightseeing in Seattle even more relaxing while we waited for our flight time. Yea for Luggage Valet!

LL

We are debarking in Yvr and this is what our TA sent me Fri. She knew nothing about it before I brought it up. I've read so many diff. fees & processes here I'm still not sure what's correct! I did see something about another line for immigration so it's not like you're home free! I'm not sure we'll do it since RCL says you have to have their transfers & it's much more for 4 ppl than a cab!

Reply from TA:

"Ok, I spoke with RCCL this morning for you, regarding the disembarkation process. If you want to add the 1-way transfer from the ship to the Vancouver Airport, after the cruise, it is $25.00pp.You can add this now, or even add it while on the ship.

Also, if you want to take advantage of the US DIRECT service, that is an additional charge of $20.00 per person, AND you must have the transfers already purchased. The US Direct service can only be added while on the cruise, with guest relations. If you decide to add this extra service, it is actually a luggage valet service, and they can handle 2 pieces of luggage per person."

I know the airport will be a mess on a Sunday so I still don't know what to do! Is it worth $90/couple?

Ok, 1 more post on this topic and I'm done. USAIR will not give us seat assignments until we get to the airport in San Juan...So my question is, will RCCL get us seats with those boarding passes and we're all set, or do I need to get to the airport early to get seats...

We will be flying on USAIR to and from San Juan next month for our Adventure cruise. We got all of our seat assignments on the day we made our reservations.

We will be sailing on the AOS, July 30th. I have seen this program before, but declined to use it. However this time we will be sailing with my two daughters and it would be nice not to have to take all of the luggage with us.

We have a 11:55 AM flight out of SJU. Does anyone know if this flight is to early to use this service?

I thought that it was for flights before Noon, but I am not sure. If it is, just my luck, finally get a flight out of SJU before 2:00PM and then can't use this!!!

It's my understanding that it doesn't matter about your flight time. As long as you can get to the airline check-in in time. I've never seen a question or anything in their info. pgs. re: flight times. Feel sure you're fine.

We are debarking in Yvr and this is what our TA sent me Fri. She knew nothing about it before I brought it up. I've read so many diff. fees & processes here I'm still not sure what's correct! I did see something about another line for immigration so it's not like you're home free! I'm not sure we'll do it since RCL says you have to have their transfers & it's much more for 4 ppl than a cab!

Reply from TA:

"Ok, I spoke with RCCL this morning for you, regarding the disembarkation process. If you want to add the 1-way transfer from the ship to the Vancouver Airport, after the cruise, it is $25.00pp.You can add this now, or even add it while on the ship.

Also, if you want to take advantage of the US DIRECT service, that is an additional charge of $20.00 per person, AND you must have the transfers already purchased. The US Direct service can only be added while on the cruise, with guest relations. If you decide to add this extra service, it is actually a luggage valet service, and they can handle 2 pieces of luggage per person."

I know the airport will be a mess on a Sunday so I still don't know what to do! Is it worth $90/couple?

You do NOT need to buy transfers to participate in the program... I had read that you did before I left, as well; but that is not correct.

We paid $15 per person on Radiance and it was limited to 2 bags. We got off the ship and took a cab to the airport. It worked out GREAT! We got to the airport and didn't have to go to the ticket counter since we aleady had our boarding pass. We also beat the buses full of pax to the airport, so their was no line at customs or security.

It's my understanding that it doesn't matter about your flight time. As long as you can get to the airline check-in in time. I've never seen a question or anything in their info. pgs. re: flight times. Feel sure you're fine.

The program guidelines we were given said that you have to be on a flight that leaves after 10:30 am....

Thx Elleluv for your experience. I'd planned on ck. on board. Another example of C/S misinfo..even to a TA! I think the 10:30 idea is because we probably can't get off & thru immigration ect by then. I've read no flight b4 1pm so passed on a noon direct! I wonder w/USD & cab we could make it! TA will kill me if I suggest another change & this way we won't have to be concerned.

OT: Did you see pax on airlines w/lunch bags? We won't get food for many hrs in both directions [Atl.]. I know we can't bring it from the ship, btw.

Thx Elleluv for your experience. I'd planned on ck. on board. Another example of C/S misinfo..even to a TA! I think the 10:30 idea is because we probably can't get off & thru immigration ect by then. I've read no flight b4 1pm so passed on a noon direct! I wonder w/USD & cab we could make it! TA will kill me if I suggest another change & this way we won't have to be concerned.

OT: Did you see pax on airlines w/lunch bags? We won't get food for many hrs in both directions [Atl.]. I know we can't bring it from the ship, btw.

Our flight was at 11:00 and we were really anxious... I never book a flight before noon.

We originally had a 1:15 flight with Alaska Air, they cancelled it and booked us on the 11:00 flight. We actually considered changing the flight to a late afternoon one because we were worried about making the 11:00, but the later flight didn't get in until midnight:30 as opposed to a 4:00 arrival time.... So we went for it.

Using the onboard check in/valet service and taking a cab, we actually got to the gate before 9am... We could have easily made the 10:00, but I wouldn't book anything before 11:00. I think noon would be fine as long as you use the program and get a cab.

You can grab a "sack lunch" at the airport and bring it on the plane... we did see several people at the gate with food... We were fortunate enough to have 1st class upgrades, so they fed us on the plane. ;)

OK I am reading $15pp /2 pieces of luggage ,$20 /2 pieces of luggage ,$10pp and if you signed up for the RCI transfer it is included .Are the prices different on different ships? We signed up for the AOS RCI transfer because there are 5 of us going with roughly 10 to 11 pieces of luggage(includes carry on).Tried to calculate the cost of taxi a and bags both ways and this seemed like a better option. The transfer cost $26 roundtrip to and from the ship. Just wonder which one to do. Any one had any experience in using RCI transfer in San Juan? Our flight home leaves out at 11:55am.

Elleluv I just sent a P.S. to TA to change the return flight for the noon one tomorrow as well as the out going. May I give her your name to blame & scream at? LOL! Usually don't use TAs & I'll bet she won't accept us as clients again! Depending on the Ohana for all this next yr.!

Ok, we just got off the Navigator in Miami Saturday and used the luggage valet service for 5 of us. This is how it worked for us....

The form stated United, Delta and American Airlines. It stated for flights after 12 p.m.

We had to fill out the form listing our names and how many bags (allowed 2 per person). The charge was $10 per person for 2 bags max. We were given white American Airlines luggage tags and brown RCI tags (that was our disembarking color). We were also given all our boarding passes in our room the day before disembarking. When we disembarked in Miami, we had to get our luggage from the carousel and take it to the AA check in which was maybe 100 feet or less away. They took our luggage and we didn't see it until we arrived in Detroit that night. It was waiting in a special area as it had come through on the first direct flight to Detroit that morning (our flight wasn't until 3:16 p.m., arrived at 10:30 p.m.) and it was all there waiting for us (no lost luggage!).

It was great that we were able to go to the Miami airport and walk straight through the security checkpoint right to our gate, didn't have to check in. Didn't have to lug all that stuff around either. Will use this every time that's for sure.

This is how it worked in Miami for us, may be different cost per person and different procedure for different airports.

Sue

Elleluv I just sent a P.S. to TA to change the return flight for the noon one tomorrow as well as the out going. May I give her your name to blame & scream at? LOL! Usually don't use TAs & I'll bet she won't accept us as clients again! Depending on the Ohana for all this next yr.!

Sure you can blame me... what's she gonna do???? I don't see her tracking me down in Alaska to give me a hard time! ;) :D

Just to clarify... you mentioned using USD in a previous post... that's not the progam we used.. We used the Onboard Check In and Luggage Valet Progam. You do still go through customs both at the port and the airport. It was super fast though because you'll get there before everyone else.

I'm sure the Ohana will take real good care of both of us next year! We have such a good group.... Isn't it a great extended family? :)

Elleluv: Now I'm more confused! MercedesMom just b4 u says she used luggage valet program too & it incl. Delta, in Miami. Is this the same as the one you used & do you sign up for it on board? Sounds like the same benefit of luggage straight to airline & less money. I think this is where so many of us are confused..2 diff. programs! All I see on the Yvr site is USD. I did get our new ticketing for direct flights plus $140 vouchers [which we can't save for San Diego!, so useless to us!] The TA was oh so nice about it all but she got another $60 for doing that for the 4 of us. Would have been $120 but she didn't tell me about the fee until after the fact so did it for 1/2! Delta had rescheduled one leg that wouldn't work so changed that one for nothing but still charged $50 for the other one. At that time the price was even lower, hence the $104 voucher, so they figure we got a real deal! Cost us another $30! Port Canaveral-or Tampa- looking better all the time where we can drive! From Atl., San Diego is just as expensive for next yr but I've learned to go back to doing my own air. No problem since we don't have to consider anyone else for that trip! Air fair is 1/2 the cost of the cruise here & 1/3 for Hawaii since it's a longer cruise!

Still excited about Alaska in spite of all these little "issues"!

Del

I read about the luggage program here on Cruise Critic. Someone suggested looking up on the individual airlines websites so I went to the American Airlines website since that's who we were flying with. There was a link on there with information about it. Then our friend picked up the paperwork for us on the ship a few days before we disembarked, we turned it in and it worked well for us. At $10 per person it sure was worth not having to drag those bags everywhere, especially since I push a walker and request a wheelchair at the airports. That would have been difficult for my DH and DD to lug me in the wheelchair, my walker, and 6 pieces of luggage and 3 carry on's. This just worked better and I'm glad they have this program now. We'll use it everytime!

Sue

Hi Again Del,

Yes, the onboard check in & luggage valet service was the program we used. I read MercedesMom's post and it sounds like her experience was a little different that ours was on Radiance in Vancouver. I do think there are 2 programs. It also seems as though there are some differences in both price and proceedure depending on the port and ship people are on... that may be part of the confusion as well.

We had a flyer delivered to our cabin on the 2nd or 3rd day of the cruise that explained the program and offered the opportunity to sign up for it. You had to sign up a couple of days before the end of the cruise. It was $15 for each person with a limit of 2 bags. Delta was one of several airlines that participated in the program and it was for flights after 10:30 am. You also needed to be a US Citizen and be flying out of Vancouver that day.

When you sign up you provide your flight information, ID information and the exact number of bags you are going to check.

At the point when luggage tags are provided to everyone, we were provided white tags that were encoded with our flight information. We put our bags out in the hall at the same time everyone else did and that was the last time we saw them until we were home and we picked them up at the airport.

White tags met at the Aurora Theatre at 7:00... They had tables set up on the stage and at about 7:40 they had everyone go up to the tables (in a single file line by flight time) and they handed out the boarding passes and your baggage claim checks. Only one person from your group needs to go up to get them. As soon as you had your boarding pass, you were able to leave the ship. They hadn't started calling colors yet, we were the first ones off....

We did go through customs at the port, which was very quick. There was a line of maybe 5 or 6 people. After customs is a very large room where I'm sure eventually the luggage was lined up... (there wasn't any there yet!) We walked out of the building and there were several cabs waiting. We got in one and went to the airport. The ride was shorter and cheaper than I had read on some previous posts, I think we may have beat the traffic getting out of there.

We got to the airport and were able to bypass the airline ticket counter since we had our boarding passes. We then went through customs where there was absolutely no line (but a LOT of room to have one!). We were out of there in half a minute. Then we went through airport security and to our gate.

We were to our gate (after dilly-dalling at one of the stores and sitting for a bit) before 9:00... It was wonderful not to have to handle our luggage and we beat the crowds every step of the way.

I know this is a long-winded explaination, but I wanted to answer all your questions. Hope that helped! :)

Ellen

Ellen You really are a luv! I'm printing this out so my feeble [hope it's just info overload] brain won't have to remember any of it. I'm sure this will help a lot of ppl here. That was my last hurdle, I think, so I can really let the excitment burst forth!

You can see my internal clock is already on Alaska time so that's one issue I won't have! All the details are so great for my peace of mind and my friend is more of a worrier than I am so she will be ecstatic [sp?]. The men just play follow the leader! I'm always the leader and I have to figure it all out for each trip even tho I know nothing. We've never dealt w/Int'l except Nassau. That's why I became a CC addict...read the Alaska & general RCL every nite & try to keep up w/the Ohana. Have given up on ketchup there. Looked for ur e-mail to no avail, btw. Do y'all have any idea how lost the last 20-30 ppl are on that site? LOL. Once this is over and Hawaii gets closer, can you imagine all my questions? Think you'll be back in the lower states by then also. Can't wait to meet you! Enuf personal stuff..apologies to the rest of the viewers here!

Del

Archived