Issues with booking private excursion

ciaoYacht

I am traveling in Feb/Mar 23 on Ovation and have been inquiring with their "Private Destinations Concierge" about a private car and tour in St. Lucia to hike Gros Piton, as an excursion there is not offered on our sailing.  The excursion desk concierge originally got back to me with an offering for the day, and while pricy (nearly $1200), I told them I wanted to move forward as this has been on my bucket list.  They told me they'd be in touch "next week" to arrange for payment.  Then, out of nowhere I get an email from the concierge stating "Due to local authority restrictions, no private arrangements are allowed. Including those already booked (need to cancel) or new request. We strongly recommend you reviewing the shore excursions that are available in Rodney bay, Saint Lucia."  

Since visiting Gros Piton is important to me, and one of the reasons I chose this cruise, I looked into the matter further.  I contacted the Soufriere Regional Development Foundation who runs the mountain trail.  They informed me hiking Gros Piton is in fact permitted and "The hike is US$50 per person and a tour guide accompanies the group or couple on the hike."  So, at a minimum, it seems that Seabourn could book me on the private car option at $799 for the day and then I can just pay for the hike.  However, I've asked them in 3 emails, 2 phone calls (without answer, no option for voicemail ), and on social media to get back to me about this to discuss further... and I've received no reply and am unable to get in touch with anyone!

Has anyone else had difficulty booking a private excursion or dealing with the Seabourn "Private Destinations" Concierge?  I feel like the service should be a little better, especially when looking to spend a large sum for 8 hours!

50 minutes ago, ciaoYacht said:

I am traveling in Feb/Mar 23 on Ovation and have been inquiring with their "Private Destinations Concierge" about a private car and tour in St. Lucia to hike Gros Piton, as an excursion there is not offered on our sailing.  The excursion desk concierge originally got back to me with an offering for the day, and while pricy (nearly $1200), I told them I wanted to move forward as this has been on my bucket list.  They told me they'd be in touch "next week" to arrange for payment.  Then, out of nowhere I get an email from the concierge stating "Due to local authority restrictions, no private arrangements are allowed. Including those already booked (need to cancel) or new request. We strongly recommend you reviewing the shore excursions that are available in Rodney bay, Saint Lucia."  

Since visiting Gros Piton is important to me, and one of the reasons I chose this cruise, I looked into the matter further.  I contacted the Soufriere Regional Development Foundation who runs the mountain trail.  They informed me hiking Gros Piton is in fact permitted and "The hike is US$50 per person and a tour guide accompanies the group or couple on the hike."  So, at a minimum, it seems that Seabourn could book me on the private car option at $799 for the day and then I can just pay for the hike.  However, I've asked them in 3 emails, 2 phone calls (without answer, no option for voicemail ), and on social media to get back to me about this to discuss further... and I've received no reply and am unable to get in touch with anyone!

Has anyone else had difficulty booking a private excursion or dealing with the Seabourn "Private Destinations" Concierge?  I feel like the service should be a little better, especially when looking to spend a large sum for 8 hours!

Just a suggestion, but why not arrange this on your own without putting Seabourn in the middle.  A good travel agent can help you book a car and a private guide.  

• Thanks 1

SLSD has the right suggestion.  And you can if you want do it without a TA.  We have had good success over the years booking private tours thru Tours By Locals.   Just google tours by locals st. lucia and you will see what's available.  Here's an example: https://www.toursbylocals.com/stlucia-Explore-hikes-gros-piton-petit-private

In fact if you google st. lucia gros piton private tours I'm sure you will find other options.  Good luck.

Edited by toseaornottosea
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Thank you both. Really the only reason to use Seabourn is it’s a far drive, around 2 hours and I am worried island traffic may be unpredictable. If I book through them I’m guaranteed to have the ship wait for us in the event of a delay. 

Otherwise you’re right… I can probably get cheaper and better service booking oj my own. 

• Like 1

". . . .Has anyone else had difficulty booking a private excursion or dealing with the Seabourn "Private Destinations" Concierge? "

Yes.

"

. . . I feel like the service should be a little better, especially when looking to spend a large sum for 8 hours!. . ."

I agree, but SB does not feel the same way.

Just to follow up on this topic...  after sending a few messages through Instagram, the "Private Destinations" Concierge did eventually get back in touch with me.  They explained that they don't have access to making phone calls or answering phones, which leads me to believe this person may be working on the ship.  Seems like this may be something better handled land-side.   Regardless, they recommended that I book the private car ($799) for the day and then arrange for my own hike... which I did - so I am set to climb Gros Piton!

I would have liked to spend less and arrange a tour through Viator or With Locals like you all suggested, but I think given that I only have 8 hours of free time in St. Lucia and Gros Piton is 2 hour drive from the port... plus a 4 hour hike, and with island traffic being unpredictable, I feel much safer knowing the ship will wait for my Seabourn private car to return.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1