Best Glacier Viewing on Infinity

CStorm

I am wondering where the best place is for glacier viewing on the Infinity or, is there only one place? We have an aft balcony cabin but I have read that you don't want to stay on your balcony for glacier viewing. Is this true?

I am wondering where the best place is for glacier viewing on the Infinity or, is there only one place? We have an aft balcony cabin but I have read that you don't want to stay on your balcony for glacier viewing. Is this true?

We went up to Deck 12 when the ship was facing the glacier and came back down to our balcony when our side of the ship faced the glacier.

When the ship turned around so the other side faced the glacier, we went up to Deck 11 this time.

The glacier viewing is one of the rare days that they open the helipad at the front of the ship to passengers to get a closer view. This is probably where you will get the closest view. The one problem with this is that there are no speakers up there sp you can't hear the naturalist's narration very well. Plus you're a bit more exposed to the elements there.

We were at the Hubbard Glacier a pretty long time which gave us a chance to try it from several vantage points. Plus the captain will turn the ship around a few times to give everyone a great view.

We probably spent the most time up on the Sunrise Deck (where the jogging track is) as this gave us a good chance to see everything as the ship rotated and we could also hear the narration.

Chris

We were on the Infinity last June and we stayed right in our cabin and out on our balcony. Perfect views and as above posters mentioned the ship is turning 360 degrees turn so everyone can see it. But there is plenty place to see the Glacier. We sat right on our couch and viewed the whole thing. Just remember if you do outside to wear a coat. It is brrrrrrr chilly there.

Marilyn

We've been to Hubbard Glacier on Infinity and Mercury. For me, the only way to thoroughly experience it is to get up EARLY as high up and as far forward as you can get a good spot. The approach to the glacier is amazing too. Not only do you need a warm coat (both cruises it was the ONLY time we really needed to bundle up, in summer Alaska is warmer than you think), bring mittens and a tightfitting hat (or wear a hoodie) ... it gets windy. We saw and heard lots of calving both times. Just spectacular.

TR

Galaxy PC 4/1/06

Mercury AK 8/05, Millennium EC 12/04, Mercury CA-MX 4/04, Infinity AK 8/03, Century WC 3/03, Century EC 9/02

We were on the Infinity last summer. Basically don't sweat the details. The ship will do at least one 360 degree turn while it is in front of the Hubbard Glacier. You can watch it from your room if you have a balcony or go to one of many venues on the ship.

My wife and I had plenty of time to go to different locations on different decks. It was awesome.

Be warned, it is cold when you get to the glacier. We wore winter coats, hats and gloves and we needed them. My wife first thought I was crazy to bring the heavy clothing but she was glad we had it. Some guests only had wind breakers and sweaters and they were frozen!

Good luck; I'm sure you will have a great time.

The helipad is not always opened - it is at the Captains discretion. When we were on the Infinity in Sept the Captain, who evidently was very safety concious did not open the helideck. However, we got just amazing views from Deck 11 and 12 and for a time we were on Deck 10. You will not find it too crowded as people tend to wander and as others have said, change places during the time. Deck 4 is an excellent place for any photography in Alaska - whilst you do not have the "forward" panorma you are much closer to anything than the high up positions. My best glacier shots were from Deck 4 when it was facing the glacier

If the weather is poor....take up a position aft under the cover of tarp on the resort deck behind the grill. The ship will come around for you to see. The bar and warm drinks are very close.....big bonus. The view will come to you.

On the Infinity we stayed mainly on the promenade deck.We wrapped up well ,grabbed a couple of loungers , drank coffee with brandy and let the Captain do the hard work. The captain turned the ship a few times and being close to the water had a better view of the colours of the ice. My all time favourite cruise.

We watched from the Helipad, my parents balcony, and deck 11. All had amazing views and we were able to get amazing pictures from each. Be sure to bundle up if you are on the helipad - it gets cold out there! And make sure to grab one of the hot drinks. They are (I think) $10 and are amazing - hot chocolate or coffee plus whatever liquors you want and you get to keep the mug. It is the best deal going for a drink on X. No matter where you watch the glacier - it is amazing!

We can't comment directly on the Infinity. On the Summit, last summer, we had a starboard balcony cabin near the rear end of the ship. We planned to view the glacier from the pool deck. The ship arrived at the glacier about two hours early while we still in our cabin. We opened the draperies and there was the glacier. A pot of coffee from room service, showers, getting dressed, standing on the veranda watching and hearing the glacier calving, listening to the commentary of the native guides who had boarded the ship for the glacier visit.....

Well, we never left our cabin until we were leaving the glacier and the breakfast hours in the dining room were nearing their end. We watched the departure from the dining room and it was great.

Outside, the pool deck is a good viewing area. Inside, the CDS lounge should be a great place. Plan to be flexible.

Les

Thank you so much for all of your suggestions, especailly about the cold weather! Of course, packing is a whole other topic ;) ! We might try and stay on our balcony for a little while and then go upstairs.

Archived