Currency Observations on Recent Bucharest to Budapest Cruise

beesKate

We just returned home from our Uniworld River Duchess, Bucharest to Budapest cruise.  I plan to write an official review later, but these are some observations that may help others on this itinerary regardless of cruise line.  

Don't bother worrying about local currency.  Someone on our ship said she got a few hundred in currency from each country (Romania, Bulgaria, Serbia, Croatia and Hungary) we were visiting.  Absolutely no need to do this!  What I do suggest is using Apple Pay or Google Pay and have a few low denomination euros bills or 1-2 euro coins.  EVERYONE except for some small flea markets accept contactless payment.  Our guides told us they don't care if it's 50 cents, during Covid all merchants pivoted to contactless.  I didn't even carry around my credit cards, as long as I had my phone I was good to go.  We did arrive a few days early in Romania and got Lei since we were going to be in Transylvania, however there was really no need.  We had to make an effort to use the cash before we left the country.  Every place we paid with cash we could have easily used Apple/Google Pay.  

Also, the non-euro countries readily accept euros if you really need to pay cash.  At one street market the vendors quoted prices in euros, the WC attendants requested 50 cents to 1 euro... no mention of local currency.  We did notice that at some places the "price" offered in euros was better than USD, for example we saw 1 euro or $1.25 US.  Is some cases, the receipt we received had both local currency and euros.  All local guides, and bus drivers accepted euros as tips.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, 2017newcruiser said:

honestly more so because I want to have $$ to use the bathrooms ha ha!!

In Budapest there was a WC on Buda hill near Mathias church that had an attendant and cost 1 euro.  However, you could easily walk into the Hilton behind Mathias church (act like you belong there... Viking had a table set up in the lobby), and the restroom in on the ground level, left side, across from the window with the ruins.  Near Parliament there are big free restrooms on the north east corner of the complex just outside the entrance to the visitor center.  We also paid to tour and panoramic dome at St. Stephen's Basilica and there were restrooms in the dome area.  But all over Europe, the 1 euro coin will work.  However, stop in a cafe, get a coffee and use their restaurant.  It won't cost much more and it forces you to take a break.  

• Like 3

1 hour ago, beesKate said:

In Budapest there was a WC on Buda hill near Mathias church that had an attendant and cost 1 euro.  However, you could easily walk into the Hilton behind Mathias church (act like you belong there... Viking had a table set up in the lobby), and the restroom in on the ground level, left side, across from the window with the ruins.  Near Parliament there are big free restrooms on the north east corner of the complex just outside the entrance to the visitor center.  We also paid to tour and panoramic dome at St. Stephen's Basilica and there were restrooms in the dome area.  But all over Europe, the 1 euro coin will work.  However, stop in a cafe, get a coffee and use their restaurant.  It won't cost much more and it forces you to take a break.  

Thanks so much!  We are actually staying at that Hilton!  I'll make sure to have some 1 euro coins as backup.  Thanks for the tip on that -