For travelers needing accessible transfer services

kodykatt

I'll start with we had a wonderful time on our cruise but would like to highlight issues we recently encountered with our Holland America cruise to Alaska.  My friend is in a power wheelchair and requires a bus with a lift.  All paperwork was provided to HA advising of this plus phone calls to Accessibility Desk to reconfirm.  We booked transfers, hotel and handicap excursions directly with HA. No transfer from the airport to the hotel showed up so we walked. It was an inconvenience but something  we could handle. The HA handout provided by the hotel advised the bus would pick us up but found out the next morning they do not pick up at the hotel so we walked back to the airport.  HA did not book an ADA room. Arrived at the bus departure to Vancouver and was told the bus did not have a wheelchair lift. The HA representative was able to get a non-accessible van (another issue resolved) to take us to Vancouver and we arrived about 1/2 hour before departure. As you can see it turned out OK but the stress meter was off the charts for a period of time. Holland America definitely dropped the ball on our accessible needs. All excursions were without incident. I realize this situation only affects a small number of passengers but for those that need this service it is of utmost importance.  I posted this on "Disabled Cruise Travel" but wanted it on HA as well.

Awaiting a response from Holland America.

• Like 1