Opinions wanted on NCL Gem vs. Getaway for a winter cruise from NYC

PistolPete13

33 minutes ago, billslowsky said:

Does the gem still have the two kiosks where you can email a photo of yourself with a caption to basically anyone?

Don't know about that but the new Prima has a video kiosk that will charge you $5 for a 15 second clip!

Even though I'm actually sailing on the Getaway January cruise, I too vote for Gem!

Of the newer huge ships I've only been on the Breakway. I was in the Haven, and I recall thinking the ship was just poorly designed and if I had been in my usual balcony, I'd be spending a lot more time than usual in my room, because the public areas were just jam packed, and all the traffic moves through some heavily used areas (including the elevator banks), creating what seemed like constant congestion. I found it stressful. Instead of using the showrooms for games, they'd do them in the atrium, so you couldn't really concentrate because people would be standing around in the aisles talking with their companions as they passed through - or worse, they'd just stand there and chat as they watched the show, as if they were invisible. Not really their fault - it's an atrium, not a showroom (which is why they shouldn't hold shows there!) Pretty chaotic.  The buffet was amazing, though - far superior to the smaller ships, especially when it came to Indian food - there was a whole large section of it nightly and I preferred it to the Haven restaurant it was so good!

You should absolutely be able to find quiet spots to enjoy a restful cruise on the Gem. It's just a totally different  vibe, one that a lot of us obviously prefer!

• Like 1

as an aside, we've been on over 20 ncl cruises and consequently on a great number of their  ships. ive never had any problems or complaints about any of them. my joy is actually being at sea, sitting on my balcony and just watching the ocean go  by.  also love watching the sunset.  by the way, we have the 2 bedroom suite booked for the b2b cruise.

we've sailed on the pearl, and the jade, and also booked on the jewel next jan

• Like 1

On 10/19/2022 at 1:15 PM, MsTabbyKats said:

OP is a NYer...as I am.

When I sail out of NY in the winter...yes, there are a couple of cold days.  But...no stress of flying to FL or anywhere.  If there's a snowstorm...the flights could get canceled or delayed....and the ship would sail without me.  Sailing out of NY...worst case scenaio is I get the cab a little earlier!

This is one of the reasons why the prices are low out of NYC.  If I lived "anywhere else" and had to fly to NY or FL for a winter cruise....I'd fly to FL.

I live in Florida so its the reverse for me we have 4 cruise ports.